Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Finless Friends
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 02-27-2015, 07:44 AM   #1 
2muttz

Unhappy Doggy ear problem

Last weekend we noticed our 9 yo terrier/spaniel mix, Amy, was holding her ear out a bit funny and shaking her head. I figured right away "ear problem". It's not hurting her, in fact it must be itching since she wants us to rub it.

Tuesday afternoon I brought her to the vet. He said there's no infection, no ear mites, and her ears are clean. He said that her lymph nodes are a bit enlarged but since she is so healthy otherwise it could just be natural for her, or a touch of allergy. He gave us some drops, antibiotic pills and steroid pills.

Today she still seems no better. She's still shaking her ear, but I guess it might be from the drops themselves, they leave her ear a bit wet all the time.
Still I worry about what it might be. Any thoughts? In every other way, she is the picture of health, loads of energy, shiny coat, etc, etc. The vet wants to see her again in two weeks, so maybe it will just take time, but I don't know what to think...

We've had her for 8 1/2 years and she's never been ill before. She's our baby!
2muttz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 01:10 PM   #2 
atb224155

I would take her to another vet for a second opinion. I have a rat terrier who scratches her ears all the time, and it's only when she has an itch. Something could be going on with the lymph notes that is causing your mix to scratch.
atb224155 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 01:24 PM   #3 
fishtankwatcher

I agree on getting a 2nd opinion,

and just asking for clarification

..) Why did he prescribe antibiotic pills with no sign of infection?
..) What drops did he give you?
fishtankwatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2015, 01:38 PM   #4 
2muttz

Thanks for your help guys.

I believe that he felt antibiotics might be indicated in case she has some kind of systemic infection causing the slight swelling in her lymph nodes. Or an infection not readily seen? I'm not really sure.

The drops are called otibiotic ointment.

I am also thinking we need a second opinion, but my husband thinks we need to give the medication a few more days. He (vet) did mention that is she wasn't back to normal in 2 weeks then we should consider some bloodwork and/or xrays...

She does seem less bothered this afternoon than she was earlier.....
Old 02-27-2015, 01:44 PM   #5 
fishtankwatcher

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2muttz View Post
Thanks for your help guys.

I believe that he felt antibiotics might be indicated in case she has some kind of systemic infection causing the slight swelling in her lymph nodes. Or an infection not readily seen? I'm not really sure.

The drops are called otibiotic ointment.

I am also thinking we need a second opinion, but my husband thinks we need to give the medication a few more days. He (vet) did mention that is she wasn't back to normal in 2 weeks then we should consider some bloodwork and/or xrays...

She does seem less bothered this afternoon than she was earlier.....
The drops & steroids should be giving her at least some temporary relief for sure! and they are what I would expect :)

The drops treat yeast infections & also a gram-negative antibiotic for the the ear, spaniels (& mixes) with heavy ears don't get to air out like most other breeds do :)

Does she have hair inside her ears? (see attached pic) The pic is not mine & of a schnauzer
Attached Images

Old 02-27-2015, 02:22 PM   #6 
2muttz

Oh that's good to hear.

She is actually a short -haired dog and does not have hairy or floppy ears. Rather more like border collie ears - where just a tip flops over.... Here's a picture ~ she has her ears back and down because she hates having her picture taken....

Oh and the vet said that there were some small, tiny hairs inside her ear. He tried to show me using his scope but it was all over my head.
Attached Images

Old 02-27-2015, 03:01 PM   #7 
fishtankwatcher

She's a beauty!

Is her lineage known for sure? I'm curious what spaniel/terrier is assumed (or known) She is not what I had pictured, lol

ETA: this more the body-type I had pictured (I realize there are TONS of spaniel types) ;)
Attached Images

Last edited by fishtankwatcher; 02-27-2015 at 03:04 PM.
Old 02-27-2015, 03:28 PM   #8 
2muttz

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishtankwatcher View Post
She's a beauty!

Is her lineage known for sure? I'm curious what spaniel/terrier is assumed (or known) She is not what I had pictured, lol

ETA: this more the body-type I had pictured (I realize there are TONS of spaniel types) ;)

Lol, no terrier / spaniel is just what I say. She could really be anything. Years ago we even did that Doggy DNA test on her and they could not isolate anything, that's how mixed up she is! I think she might have some pittie in her, and maybe some pointer or spaniel that has spots..... well it's all just guesses.....
Old 02-27-2015, 03:30 PM   #9 
fishtankwatcher

Talking

Ok, can I make a guess? (okay I will) I would say Border Collie/Heeler/Lab mix

like this one (and one of my favorite common mix breeds fyi)
Old 02-27-2015, 04:07 PM   #10 
2muttz

Oh, that looks so much like her ( those are her ears!!!). I love Border Collies, I used to have them. But when I lost my last BC (RIP, Elle ) I decided we were getting to old to keep up with a Border Collie, and that's when we adopted Amy!

{{ Although I must say, BC's , heelers, Labs - all very SMART dogs... and Amy, well, of course we love her,.... but..... not the sharpest Crayon in the box, kwim???}}