Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Planted Betta Tanks
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-28-2013, 11:39 AM   #1 
ashleylyn

Anacharis

I picked some up from Petsmart recently and planted it in my tank. I thought about letting it float, but I like it a little more organized than that so I placed it in my substrate. I kid you not, I think this thing has grown over an inch already in just a few days. Is that normal?! It's nearly at the top of my tank now!

My girls love swimming through it, so I was also wondering how you propagate it.

Any information would be appreciated. :)
ashleylyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 03:40 PM   #2 
rickey
Banned

Anacharis under the right conditions is a true water weed. Excel or temperatures over 85* melts it
does do well in hard water

Rick
rickey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 03:45 PM   #3 
ashleylyn

Thanks Rick. My water is at about 78 and I haven't used Excel, but that's good to know. It definitely appear to be thriving in my tank, so I'm quite pleased. :)

I see you're from FL! I'm originally from Tarpon Springs - I sure miss it there!
Old 08-28-2013, 06:11 PM   #4 
peachii

When it gets taller than you want it all you have to do is cut it off at the height you want it and then replant the stem you cut off. Very easy to propagate.

For some reason after purchasing many, many bundles of anacharis it is just now starting to grow for me. I think the warm temps of my betta tanks didn't do well for it and now in the shrimp tank it is starting to be happy. I can understand why people love it from the way it is looking now. :)
peachii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 06:24 PM   #5 
Laki

I bought 3 bunches of anacharis to allow for the initial melting period loss... NONE of it died!! lol It all grows crazy, the pile in my 3g is harvesting seeds! So it will be interesting to see how it grows from seed!

I tried planting it in gravel but it really didn't like it and began to rot. So I uprooted it, trimmed off the dead stem and let it float wild. Again, going crazy. I just bagged some up and gave some to my boss. I am thoroughly enjoying this easy plant! Hope you do too!
Laki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 08:01 PM   #6 
ashleylyn

Thank you for the advice and input! I've been in my desk chair most of today and I'm not even lying, the thing has grown since this morning. It is now half an inch away from the surface. I bought it Monday and I'm quite certain it was at the very least 2 inches away from the surface. I feel like I'm going insane watching this thing, but the one stem in particular has shot up like a weed!
Old 08-29-2013, 07:54 AM   #7 
Laki

I believe you :) I love the wilds of it.
Laki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 10:45 PM   #8 
Blue Fish

I bought some the other day, I love how it's pink at the edges! :) I have heard the same thing you're experiencing, that it grows like mad. It was taking over the show tank at my one really good LFS. I was impressed! I love purchasing something for three bucks and then having it take off, lol! :)
Blue Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 01:16 PM   #9 
jesssan2442

The anacharis I got on sunday has grown about 3ins but it wasn't very healthy when I got it... The sale tank had hydra but I did a plant dip which didn't help the anacharis heal any quicker!
jesssan2442 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 01:22 PM   #10 
jibruno

i Put some in my outdoor pond, 3 feet deep and within a month it was almost to the surface and i had to weed it out. my koi love picking at it though and help keep it trimmed. buy some plant weights or it will begin to break free and float in your tank.
jibruno is offline   Reply With Quote