Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-31-2013, 11:51 AM   #1 
Alyssabubbles

Fish died.. His stuff?

So my new fish unfortunately died today in his hospital tank. What should i do with his stuff from the original tank? He was in a divided tank but didnt die in there. Should i vaccuum the gravel and rinse the stuff in hot water?
Alyssabubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 12:04 PM   #2 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

How did he die?
MattsBettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 12:09 PM   #3 
Alyssabubbles

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattsBettas View Post
How did he die?
Honestly not sure. I thought he had SBD but i could be wrong. I just got him less than 24 hours ago so he might've been dying since before i got him even though he looked rather healthy
Old 08-31-2013, 12:39 PM   #4 
Alyssabubbles

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattsBettas View Post
How did he die?
Shall i rinse his stuff?
Old 08-31-2013, 12:42 PM   #5 
Toby1985

I would rinse his items with boiling water before putting another fish in with any of this things.
Sorry he died :(
Toby1985 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 01:04 PM   #6 
Alyssabubbles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toby1985 View Post
I would rinse his items with boiling water before putting another fish in with any of this things.
Sorry he died :(
Thanks :) I'm rather upset but i'm glad he isn't struggling to live anymore
Old 08-31-2013, 01:07 PM   #7 
Toby1985

Yup it sucks :(
I became a betta lover by accident. A co worker of mine went away on vacation and I was on fish sitting duty and on day one when I showed up to feed him (Monday morning) he had died!! So I bought a new fish but kept it in my office so it wouldn't be lonely.. Fell in love and kept it LMAO! I had to buy a new tank and everything and also replace his fish with another new one.

I didn't think it would be so easy to get attached to a fish!
Old 08-31-2013, 01:28 PM   #8 
Alyssabubbles

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toby1985 View Post
Yup it sucks :(
I became a betta lover by accident. A co worker of mine went away on vacation and I was on fish sitting duty and on day one when I showed up to feed him (Monday morning) he had died!! So I bought a new fish but kept it in my office so it wouldn't be lonely.. Fell in love and kept it LMAO! I had to buy a new tank and everything and also replace his fish with another new one.

I didn't think it would be so easy to get attached to a fish!
Agreed! I used to be very indifferent towards fish. I got mine at my aunts baby shower and two months later i'm going from a 2.5 to a divided 10!
Old 09-01-2013, 11:40 AM   #9 
Toby1985

That's awesome :):)
Old 09-01-2013, 05:30 PM   #10 
Blue Fish

Just one tip though, if you boil the plants, the hot, hot water make cause them to "curl" on themselves. They'll still be plenty usable, but they may not be quite as tall and floaty as before. :)

If you're worried about it, rinse them in hot water, and then lay them in the bright sun for several days, the UV light will kill almost anything.

As for the gravel, I'd either take it all out and boil it, or let it air dry *completely*. It's probably overkill, but I had some nasty columnaris many years ago when I did my first bout of Betta's, and I finally ended up realizing it was in the gravel. Once I got rid of that, everything got better and I stopped having the issue.

Probably overkill, but I'd rather be safe. :)

Sorry about your little guy though! It is amazing how fast you can get attached to them. They've got so much personality. :(
Blue Fish is offline   Reply With Quote