Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-28-2013, 05:40 PM   #1 
WhitneyLin

Help with a new tank

I was at Petco going to get bird food and cat food and ended up going by the betta fish. There was a pretty blue fish who seemed to be having a little trouble with his fin. He looked so sad in that tiny little plastic cup. I gave into an impulse and came home with a new fish.

I got a 1 gallon bowl (before I knew better) with a small plant (not live as I have no green thumb whatsoever). He seemed pretty happy but lately he seems a bit lethargic. It got hot outside so we've turned the air conditioner up more and I think his water is getting too cold. Theres no room for me to put a thermometer or heater, so I need to get him a new tank now rather than later.

I cant get an expensive glass tank, but someone told me I could get a critter keeper plastic tank and it would work just as well. Is this true? Plus it would have a top, since we have cats and I dont want one of them attempting to put a paw in the tank. If not does anybody have other suggestions? I'd like to get a tank thats about 2.5ish gallons.

And as long as im posting: any recommendations for a heater for a small tank like that? and maybe a filter? Any help for this poor starting betta owner would be great. I love my betta and if all goes well, i'd like to get another in the future.

sorry for being so long winded.

Here's my baby, Typhoon. We normally just call him Ty.

WhitneyLin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 05:59 PM   #2 
Hallyx
Reference Team

A 3ish gallon Kritter keeper makes a fine beginner tank. Get an adjustable heater (25Watts) and a cheap thermometer. Look into sponge filters; good for Betta. Don't forget water conditioner. Prime is very good. Read the stickies on basic Betta care.

Good luck. Welcome to the forum.
Hallyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 06:01 PM   #3 
ANHEL123

What is the temperature in the room he is in? Or what is the temperature in your house?
How long you have him?
Do you use water conditioner?
How much (%) and how often you change the water?
Do you acclimate him when you change it?
Is he still eating ?
Any other symptoms besides that he is lethargic? Is he swimming at all or just all the time laying on the bottom or hanging on the top?
You can buy 2.5 gall and a heater. But you need to figure out what wrong with him? If it temperature problem or something else.
Here is a lot of tips on betta care and heaters.
http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=142066
Hallyx i didn't see your post but i think all those questions are important too. He might get sick, and it might not due to the temp so i think we need to find out...if it a temp issue or something else

Last edited by ANHEL123; 08-28-2013 at 06:08 PM.
ANHEL123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 06:12 PM   #4 
WhitneyLin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hallyx View Post
A 3ish gallon Kritter keeper makes a fine beginner tank. Get an adjustable heater (25Watts) and a cheap thermometer. Look into sponge filters; good for Betta. Don't forget water conditioner. Prime is very good. Read the stickies on basic Betta care.

Good luck. Welcome to the forum.

Thank you! I read some of the stickys but I always love having someone talk(write?) directly to me. There is so much diverse and different info out there and its nice to be able to post directly to someone... You get none of that in the pet store and it drive me insane.

I'll make a note of sponge filters. I do use a water conditioner, and distilled water not tap water. We live in the country and have well water so I refuse to use tap.
Old 08-28-2013, 06:27 PM   #5 
WhitneyLin

Quote:
Originally Posted by ANHEL123 View Post
What is the temperature in the room he is in? Or what is the temperature in your house?
How long you have him?
Do you use water conditioner?
How much (%) and how often you change the water?
Do you acclimate him when you change it?
Is he still eating ?
Any other symptoms besides that he is lethargic? Is he swimming at all or just all the time laying on the bottom or hanging on the top?
You can buy 2.5 gall and a heater. But you need to figure out what wrong with him? If it temperature problem or something else.
Here is a lot of tips on betta care and heaters.
http://www.bettafish.com/showthread.php?t=142066
Hallyx i didn't see your post but i think all those questions are important too. He might get sick, and it might not due to the temp so i think we need to find out...if it a temp issue or something else

I keep him in the living room, which is warmest. Our house is normally at 76 with the air conditioner on(which hadnt been too often before this last week). It was warmer before that since wasnt as hot outside. But now its been at 72ish since its been 90degrees outside. So i'm worried. I felt his water and it was colder than it had been. (*side note: we have a big pool outside so i'm a decent judge of feeling water temp)

I've had him about 2 1/2 months. This is the first time we've had our house this cold and I didnt think i'd need a heater till winter came.

Yes I use water conditioner. The people at Petco tried to tell me I didnt need it if I was using distilled water, but I got some anyway. Its called Splendid Betta Complete Water Conditioner.

I'm not sure how to do the %...but I change maybe 25%ish since I skim the water to keep any excess food out. But thats probably every couple of days. Otherwise I completely change him at least every 5 days. 5 is the longest I go before changing him.

I try to acclimate him. He probably doesnt get to sit as long as he should, but I get grabby kitty paws by him if I take too long.

Yes he is still eating. He isnt as enthusiastic as he used to be though. He would swim back and forth any time you came near his bowl, but now he just swims over and sits by the top till you put it in.

He swims some. Not as much as he used to. He hangs out by his plant a lot. Not really in a specific height..though if I had to estimate i'd say by the top more.

Ask as many questions as you need. I definitely want to know if maybe its something else. But it all started once we made our house cooler.
Old 08-28-2013, 07:05 PM   #6 
ANHEL123

Looks like you actually doing everything right way , you are acclimating him and water changes are good. The perfect temp is 76*. Many people will say 72* is cold but i have betta that live in the doctor office and they live in 72* so i still think it not the temperature that is the problem. However some bettas like warmer temperature then other.
When you go buy bigger tank (2.5-3 gall is perfect )buy the heater and it really better to but an adjustable one. Check out the link i posted you will find some recommendations on the heaters.
Also , so are you using distilled water? DO NOT USE distilled water , it not recommended and it doesn't have all needed minerals for the fish. So if you are using i would recommend you to get spring water, not purefied water spring water and start doing 25%-30% water changes every hour about 4 water changes. Meanwhile go to the pet store and let them check your water to make sure it safe for fish and you can use it for him. It's really better to use just your tap water with a water conditioner. So for now since you don't know if your tap water safe just buy spring water which is better then distilled, and do changes until you know your tap water is fine.

When they give you the reading ask them to give you actual reading instead of saying that water is fine.
What kind of water conditioner are you using?
Also for the spring water you don't need to use water conditioner.
What kind of food you been feeding him? When you go to pet store try to get frozen blood worms they are really good for the immune system since they have more protein in it. I think he need to be strong now since there is something bothering him.
Is there any visual symptoms at all on the body?

Last edited by ANHEL123; 08-28-2013 at 07:09 PM.
Old 08-28-2013, 07:12 PM   #7 
ANHEL123

If you will buy 2-3.5 gall tank , i personally like to do regular water changes and do not cycle the tank. It just what you prefer to do. For me and for many people it easier to just do water changes without filtration. My bettas live pretty long so i don't want to change anything in their care and prefer to recommend what i do . I have a few bettas that are 2.5 , other 3 and one is i don't know any more about 5 years old.
Old 08-28-2013, 07:51 PM   #8 
WhitneyLin

Well its nice to know that im doing things mostly right. Im not sure its the temperature, but thats my best guess since it all started when we made the house colder. But im gonna need a heater and bigger tank come winter anyway. If that doesnt fix it, then i'll have to post again. But I can't see anything else wrong with him.

Its a 45 minute drive, but we do have a Petsmart, rather than the Petco in town. I found two tanks I like so far, leaning toward the first one :
http://www.petsmart.com/product/inde...AvailInUS%2FNo

http://www.petsmart.com/product/inde...AvailInUS%2FNo

Will look into a heater first, then a filter. I was thinking about this heater if I can find one:
http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00106X8QG/...=ITNV4MRK2ODB3

He was just changed yesterday. I had no idea that water wasn't good for him. He seemed alright. He gets more movement when I change him. He still explores after I change him. I guess I better find a brand of spring water. :/

Does Petco test water? The other pet stores went out of business a while ago once they came to town.

The water conditioner is called Splendid Betta Complete Water Conditioner.I got it from Petco.

I feed him Tetra BettaMin Tropical Medley. Where can I get the other food for him? (maybe I just didnt look enough at Petco?)

I dont see anything else wrong with him, besides the Ventral Fin(? think thats what its called) on his one side. But he was like that when I bought him. He uses it, but we've noticed it doesnt move as fast as his other one.

I always had problems with the % since I added the conditioner. So it would be nice to not have to. I have no idea on how to start cycles, I would like to just keep changing him like im doing, but im not sure how good i'll be able to do that with a bigger tank.

I feel like I need the beginners dummies guide to betta tank care
Old 08-28-2013, 08:33 PM   #9 
WhitneyLin

I've been looking through the disease section and have been driving myself crazy trying to figure out if there is anything else wrong with him.

He has some brown kind of under his gills and it goes down his belly and a bit by his fins on his belly, but he has always had that. I am now staring and trying to determine if the brown has spread any. (I dont think it has)

But im now being an overly worry wart. (and being laughed at by the others in my house saying that its a fish not a baby :( )
Old 08-28-2013, 11:39 PM   #10 
ANHEL123

Is it possible for your to post a picture? I would think the brown can be his normal coloration especially if he always had it. The clear picture will definitely help.
What you don't want to see is when you Shine the light on the betta’s body: if it looks like it is covered with a fine gold or rust mist, then it has velvet. But i don't think/hope he has it because if he would have that untreated for a few days he would show more symptoms like darting,scratching the body on objects ., more coloration on the body, clamped fins.

Is it possible for you guys just raise the temp in the house up to at least 75*? See how he doing.

Yes buy spring water and do regular changes.But do 2-50% and 1-100% water changes a week. Or you even can do one full water change every about 4 days.
When you switch him from distill water to spring water do it slowly. Like i wrote before do 2-3 or even 4 water changes with spring water (about 30-50%). Just to acclimate him slowly to the new water.Not sure what is the difference in pH or other stuff that in the water so that is why i recommending do it slowly , so you don't shock him with the difference

Also when you do full water changes you can just let water sit in the room temperature for about 24 hrs and it will be the same temp as his. It just convenient for me at least and i don't have to worry to shock him with the drastic temp difference.

I think any pet store can check your water. Of course when you bring the sample do not put water conditioner in it.

I am not familiar with the water conditioner that you are using but if it removes Clorine,Chloramine,ammoia, nitrate,nitrite it fine . Just decided to google it and it's fine to use as dechlorinator when you use tap water.

If the store will tell you that your tap water has ammonia in it(some people has the problem) buy water conditioner Prime by Seachem, it the best water conditioner and helps in the situation if your water has ammonia in it. Unless you will decide to use spring water.

Food: If you will go to the store take the ice with you so you can buy him frozen blood worms. Usually you can find it in the refrigerator in the store. If you will not buy frozen ones you can buy
http://www.petmountain.com/product/c...oodworms.html?
utm_source=googleproductads&utm_medium=cpc&utm_ter m={keyword}&gclid=CMrszPToobkCFcie4Aod4V8AbQ

Best recommended pellets are:
http://www.bigalspets.com/betta-form...lets-50-g.html

http://www.petco.com/product/116563/...Fc-Y4Aod9AcApg

Freeze dried bw you can use only a few times a week as a snack.

2.5 gall tank you don't have to cycle if you don't want to. If you don't cycle it you will need to do 2-50% and 1-100% water changes a week. Or again you can just do one 100% every 5-6 days. That is what i do. And if you don't cycle don't buy the filter. Filters are not necessity for bettas.

If betta will refuse to eat or will change his behavior even more(more lethargic, laying on the bottom, hanging on the top more, darting, scratching, clamped fins, more visual symptoms on the body) then there is definitely a problem that i hope with more help we can figure out.

The food that i gave you the links of you can find at the pet store but the stores i go they always out of it, and i have to wait another shipment. But if you have to drive far away may be they can call you when they get it or you can order on line. I have all of them. I just alternate between them. NLS ones sinking to the bottom very fast, the Omega one is not.

Last edited by ANHEL123; 08-28-2013 at 11:45 PM.