Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-28-2013, 11:57 PM   #11 
WhitneyLin

Sorry, Ty hates cameras of all kinds. He gets sassy and runs behind his plant. I got him to sit still for one shot (aka I got very lucky and clicked at the right time. And it was his other side I really wanted you to see. I think hes more brown there. Ugh. I'll try again later.

LIMITED SUCCESS! He loved to outsmart me. But thats most of his other side.

I'll post my answers next post.

Last edited by WhitneyLin; 08-29-2013 at 12:16 AM.
WhitneyLin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 12:09 AM   #12 
WhitneyLin

We turned the air conditioner off so I will set my alarm so I get up before it gets turned back on in the morning. The house has already gone up too 77 and it should be 80ish by the time I go to bed.
(He did move around and come see me when I went to try to get his picture, so thats nice. However he always used to make me bubble nests, this is the first time that he hasnt. I changed him tuesday. He had one before I changed his water)

Hopefully the spring water isnt too expensive. His water is normally sits out at least 24 hours. Its probably way more than that cause I tend to clean him right before I go get refills.

His conditioner does that, though i'll probably upgrade to something better (i believe our petco carries Seachem Prime). I really would like to use the tap water. We already have a ton of gallon jugs for distilled. I have no room to store more for spring water.

And pellets are better than flakes? (and yay its at petco. Petco is only 15 minutes away so its great if something is there)

Also(your gonna get sick of me pretty soon): i've been reading up on heaters but cant seem to find one.

I had finally decided on one and then it said it fried someones fish

http://www.drsfostersmith.com/produc...id=11368&r=414

Do you have any actual links to a heater?

I tried looking the Elite up on amazon but I dont think I found the right one.

Last edited by WhitneyLin; 08-29-2013 at 12:17 AM.
Old 08-29-2013, 02:02 AM   #13 
WhitneyLin

Sorry I have so many questions. I was misled and told it wouldnt be too hard. I just really want to give him the best care that im capable off but feel pretty lost on everything. I wish there was a class on this. I havent felt this lost since I tried to put on makeup seriously for the first time. *sigh*

Last edited by WhitneyLin; 08-29-2013 at 02:08 AM.
Old 08-29-2013, 06:26 AM   #14 
Hallyx
Reference Team

That Hagen Elite 25W heater works fine for me. I have several in both 2.5g and 5g tanks.

What's wrong with your tapwater? Do you drink it?
Hallyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 08:16 AM   #15 
WhitneyLin

Which one?

http://www.amazon.com/Elite-6-Inch-T...agen+elite+25w

I had wanted this one:
http://www.amazon.com/Elite-Submersi...agen+elite+25w

But it seems like they dont have it anymore. It goes to an external website and brings up this one instead: http://www.petmountain.com/show_prod...m_campaign=PPC

I live in the country and get well water. Its hard water and we have a water softener. We dont drink it, we get bottled water and jugs of distilled water. We do use it to cook, but normally when its gonna be boiled like for pasta.
Old 08-29-2013, 10:04 AM   #16 
ANHEL123

All well water is different and some can contain heavy metals. You can age it and it will remove chlorine ans stabilized the ph but the only way to get rid of the heavy metal is the water conditioner. So you will need to use water conditioner.
I don't know a lot about well water , and i am not sure if Hallyx knows , so i did ask Sakura8 to look at your thread and give you more information about well water. I think you can use it without problem with the water conditioner. I am not sure if you still have to go to the pet store to check it though, but if you go to the store any way why not. Just take a sample without water conditioner in it and check it.
Again when you transfer him from the water that you are using to the tap water do a few (5-6) small portions water changes about every 30-40 min to make him get used to the new water.

Your betta looks fine, i don't see any problem . I think the color that you was talking under the gills and on the stomach its his normal coloration . I think a lot of bettas his color has it. So its not a velvet that i mentioned before.

The second picture of the heater is fine. It for up to 5 gall tanks. The only thing it will not of course fit in your current tank, but it good for 2-5 gall tank
The temperature in your house -you don't have to have 80* 76* is fine for him.

With new heater you need to test it in a bucked of the water for at least 24 hrs before you put it in the betta tank. Let's you find out if it will hold a decent temperature , or if it defective. I saw a few post when new heater leach the fluid in the tank and harm the betta. So yes it good idea to test it. You know what you can do . If you planing to buy bigger tank you can just check new heater in that tank. If you not going to buy new tank then you will need smaller heater because this one not going to fit in your current tank
ANHEL123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 10:18 AM   #17 
WhitneyLin

He was swimming around this morning while the house was a little warmer. My mom has problems with the heat though(its not good for her health), so the air conditioner had to go back on. I can still see him swimming around some though.

Well am going to get him a new tank today. Just hashing out the details of where to put it. Gotta adjust some shelves.

Im going for this tank and heater (though stopping at Petco first to see if they have an identical one), it shouldnt be too heavy so I can lift it:

http://www.petsmart.com/product/inde...AvailInUS%2FNo

http://www.petco.com/product/116663/...um-Heater.aspx

And im taking a water sample along to get tested (so hopefully Petco does it)
Also gonna buy him some of the Omega One betta pellets instead of the flakes I have now. And see what they have for blood worms.And look for some new decorations for his bigger tank. I'm thinking a floating log or the betta leaf hammock. Gonna need another plant too. I have a plastic one but its soft (i was feeling up all the plants in the store) gonna have to go with silk next since all the other plants had sharp edges. ...possibly the new conditioner too, but it may have to wait since this is already gonna be expensive. I'll probably have to just use up the one I have first.

Last edited by WhitneyLin; 08-29-2013 at 10:23 AM.
Old 08-29-2013, 10:30 AM   #18 
WhitneyLin

Thank you thank you thank you for the help. I really appreciate it so much! I was really clueless so hopefully this will make him much happier and healthier.

I'd appreciate any more info on the well water and what would be best to make it safe.

Thinking about picking up some epsom salt and aquarium salt, but im gonna have to go find a sticky about what to do with it first.
Old 08-29-2013, 10:43 AM   #19 
ANHEL123

I like the tank. The heater 25 w is ok up to 5 gall.
Flakes are bad food in general. So yes buy pellets. Not sure if they will have them in stuck. My stores a lot of time out of them. So i always ask when can i come back or i just call them to find out if they got them. If they out of that kind of pellets that i told you , don't buy other ones. Just it better to come back or order on line. Really recommending to buy frozen blood worms too along with that freeze dried ones that i posted for you.

I don't recommend plastic plants. Buy only silk ones.
I think you ok to go with that conditioner that you have.
Always rinse all decorations before you put it in the tank. Hammock leaf has a thin wire down the plant which can rust and pollute the water. You can easily fix this by pulling the wire out before placing it in the tank.
If you will decide to buy a life plant let us know , you will need to quarantine them before you put them in his tank.
Old 08-29-2013, 10:49 AM   #20 
ANHEL123

Yes i ask Sakure8 to help on your question about well water. Its good that you taking the sample to the store.

Very good idea to buy aquarium salt and Epsom. Epsome salt though you will not find at the pet stores. You can find it at any pharmacy department. It has to be pure Epsom(100% magnesium sulfate) without any additives, just unscented Epsom. Not sure or i forget if you mentioned where you live. If you in Canada or Australia they call it sometimes differently. I saw it was Dr. Teal's i think it was in UK.So you can check ingredient.