Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-29-2013, 10:16 PM   #31 
ANHEL123

Ok if you don't like the heater and if it not adjustable i would return it and order the one that you like before in that link. It up to 5 gall meaning you can really use it in your 2.5 gall and it adjustable. It hot now and you really don't need the heater now. Unless you want to check it fires and it will work great. What kind of the heater. I thought all heaters which is for tanks bigger than 1 gall were adjustable. You really can keep the temp in your house about 75-76* and you don't need the heater until you order a good one. It sucks though that the store don't have it.

What is pH reading? Bettas are very adjustable to the pH. And what is pH in the water that he is now? If it the same then he already get used to it.

Not sure why he is spitting out the pellets , he might be just adjusting to the new food. Do not give him blood worms yet. He might like tham and will not eat pellets. So wait until he will get used to the pellets first.

And do even smaller water changes then i told you. Do like about 6 small water changes about 25%. Just let him get used to the new water.

Now i am not sure about pH drops. Did Sakura told you to use it? I don't know if it good to use the drops to lower pH. And again like i said check the ph the water that he was in all the time and new water see what is the difference.

Sorry i think we posted at the same time i didn't see your post
ANHEL123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 10:32 PM   #32 
WhitneyLin

It was $22 so not a huge loss since I dont think they will except returns(got it at a smaller shop, not petco). I was going to see how it works, but I guess I really would like an adjustable one so it can be lowered and it'll turn off. I could always keep this one as a backup just in case the other should ever break. (its an aqueon 10 w mini heater thats submersible)

pH started at the highest 8.4..I'm not sure the second reading was even light enough to be the 7.8 it still seemed closer in color to the 8.4.

His current tank is the opposite i'd say its at about the 6.8. So thats waaay to much to adjust to.

Im trying to find a good water balance before I do changes. I was hoping to have his new tank settled at a good balance and then make some extra to do a 25% change.

The pH in his current tank is a bit low actually while the new 2 gallon is way too high. The pH drops were recommended by several of the stores (I wasnt taking petco guys word for it, no matter how nice he was). I figured with it as high as the reading could go, it couldnt hurt to try it.

I'm thinkin about emptying about half the water and putting in a couple of bottles of ice mountain spring water and seeing how that reads. Trying the half and half method.

I guess i'll need to send someone out to get me some more spring water tomorrow and the Seachem Prime. The conditioner I got at walmart isnt doing its job.
The seachem is really concentrated though. Does anybody know how much i'd need for 2.5 gallons? It was a small amount for like 50 gallons or something when I read the back.

Last edited by WhitneyLin; 08-29-2013 at 10:35 PM.
WhitneyLin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 10:48 PM   #33 
ANHEL123

i guess still test the heater though.
Prime is 2 drops per gallon. Any size of the Prime bottle that you buy just use 2 drops per gallon. Do not afraid if you put a little more . Everyone on the forum saying it ok and actually i am using 4 drops per gallon. I am not sure why i am doing it , i just paranoid to put not enough i guess.
Not sure if the Prime will really help the problem. I am not really experienced with all that readings and pH problems. I did message Sakura again to check on you, unless someone else will come along. But if you not sure about water do not put him in the new water. pH kind of big difference between what he has and new water . Not sure if it safe to put him in if it stay the same. Not sure if Prime will help more then the water conditioner that you already using .

I hope half and half method will help .
Old 08-29-2013, 10:49 PM   #34 
WhitneyLin

I didnt enough water to fully do half and half. But it did improve with the spring water. Will have to experiment more tomorrow. My parents went to bed and with my bedroom right next to theirs, my constant in and out is waking them up. (they were slightly unhappy :\ )

Okay thanks for the Prime info. I might just see how much spring water is per gallon. Half and half may work good or maybe even 1/3 tap and 2/3 spring. Just to save maybe a little money. I guess i'll just have to play with it a bit in the next day or so. Ty isnt due for a % change till then. I've been very careful not to overfeed so I can not have to change him early.

Last edited by WhitneyLin; 08-29-2013 at 10:52 PM.
Old 08-29-2013, 11:15 PM   #35 
ANHEL123

you can experiment may be in the less amount of the water?
How warm is your house during the winter i am wondering?
Yes your are right don't overfeed it also very bad for bettas and they can get swim bladder problem from it.
Old 08-29-2013, 11:25 PM   #36 
WhitneyLin

I'll have to see. Depending on the price I may just go with spring water for now and very slowly introduce tap water of maybe a couple cups at a time and keep checking the water at a later date.

Fall is probably going to be coldest. We keep our heat off to save during fall. Winter gets cold, but the house normally stays at 75. I do have a fan that I sleep with though. So my room may stay a bit colder than that. Thats why I really wanted an adjustable heater so I could set it to maybe 80 or so.
Old 08-29-2013, 11:35 PM   #37 
ANHEL123

Don't set to 80*. Set at 76*. I don't like to keep it too warm. There is more chance to get infections in the warmer temperature. You really don't need 80*.
Old 08-29-2013, 11:43 PM   #38 
WhitneyLin

okay. Thank you. I will definitely try again in the morning.
Old 08-30-2013, 01:43 AM   #39 
Sakura8

Do you think you can return the pH drops if you have the receipt? Many stores should accept it, even if it is only for store credit.

A high pH is really okay for all but a crowntail betta (in high pH, hard water, their fins curl). It's actually better and safer for the pH to stay stable at a high level than to fluctuate a lot with the drops.

If you really are worried about the pH, a safer way to lower it is to put either a piece of driftwood in the tank, Indian Almond leaves, or naturally dried clean oak leaves. All of these contain tannins that will soften the water and help to lower the pH.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 10:29 AM   #40 
WhitneyLin

The packaging got thrown away, so probably not.

Im not actually sure what type of betta Ty is. But with me moxing waters today the pH shouldnt be so high anyway. Im gonna try to mix half and half first and test it. If it doesnt work then I guess i'll go all spring water.
I have a little time since I have to do percent changes and wait for the other heater to get here.

...on a side note, Ty finally built me a bubble nest over night! I was getting a little worried considering it was the first time he hadnt done that. He started doing them the week after I brought him home and he kept rebuilding them right away when I cleaned him.