Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-30-2013, 07:59 PM   #51 
Sakura8

I'm trying to remember just why distilled water isn't good for consumption. I think it has to do with the minerals and electrolytes and something else really important have been removed but just what the exact components that get removed are, I don't know.

So the mix that tested perfect across the board was distilled AND spring?
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 08:00 PM   #52 
WhitneyLin

Ok, thats what I thought after I sat and read through it.

I'll see tomorrows readings on the half and half water. If it doesnt read nice im gonna have to just do the tap water.
I gotta go to the store tomorrow and get more conditioner anyway (getting the good Prime stuff this time.) It'll be easier for me to watch it and keep up the 5-10 min addings when im less tired.
WhitneyLin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 08:04 PM   #53 
Sakura8

Prime seems expensive to start with but it goes a long way because it's so highly concentrated. 2 drops per gallon. It helps to get a bottle with a dripper spout or an eyedropper.
Old 08-30-2013, 08:04 PM   #54 
WhitneyLin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakura8 View Post
I'm trying to remember just why distilled water isn't good for consumption. I think it has to do with the minerals and electrolytes and something else really important have been removed but just what the exact components that get removed are, I don't know.

So the mix that tested perfect across the board was distilled AND spring?
Yes! The spring was still too high pH wise and alkalinity wise. The distilled is a bit below where it should be on both. So I figured i'd try it and see if they meet in the middle.

With the spring water mixed in i'd think that he'd still get the minerals and such.

Testing it again in the morning after it sits overnight in a larger quantity (about half a gallon this time). I just tested it in a small bowl that I used to take samples into the store.

May still mix a sample of tap water and distilled and see if I get the same results.

But im finally seeing a light at the end of the tunnel.
Old 08-30-2013, 08:16 PM   #55 
Sakura8

That's good. :) Hope it all works out for you and Ty. Haha, at first I thought fishkeeping was so simple, you know? Get fish, put fish in water. And then you start learning about how all water is not created equal. -____- But it's still fun and still worth it.
Old 08-30-2013, 08:22 PM   #56 
WhitneyLin

Thanks! I thought it would be simple too. Its some work to get it started the right way, but once I get it going into a routine it will be fine. I just hit a few more snags than others may have cause of country well water.

I've gotten frustrated and confused. And have learned so much information in the past few days that my head spins. But I love Ty so much and its very worth it.
Old 08-30-2013, 08:40 PM   #57 
WhitneyLin

Because im super curious (and would like to save money on the over $1 gallons of spring water) I tried the mix of distilled water and tap water. It came out as good as the mix of spring and distilled!
Got another bigger jug out to test that mix overnight too! Really hoping it comes out good so I dont have to keep buying the spring water.
Old 08-30-2013, 09:38 PM   #58 
ANHEL123

Still don't understand why can't you use tap? Your tap test came out fine , almost as the spring. The only problem was the pH high. Or if you afraid at least test the mixed of tap and spring. I don't know i just don't like the distilled water.
Also he is spitting out the food. If he is acting healthy then he just adjusting . And i think since he never ate the pellets before that is why he takes his time. I was thinking take the gravel out so you can see if he is eating. The pellets sink to the bottom and he might eat them from there. I think if you take out the gravel it will be easier for you to monitor and see if he is eating . And also he can see them easier without the grave on the bottom. Just bought a betta for my coworker he does the same. He take the pellet and spit it out but trying to eat them from the bottom.
ANHEL123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 09:51 PM   #59 
WhitneyLin

The tap test pH and alkalinity were too high by itself. The spring water by itself tested almost the same as the tap. The mixing them didnt help at all since they had the same problems. Mixing either of them with the distilled brings down those readings. If the tap and distilled mix tests good in the morning, i'll be using that.

He acts fine besides spitting it out. He didnt go for it as much tonight, but i think thats because i fed him too late and its darker by his tank so he was resting.
Funny thing is this morning he kept going for the same piece, even as it was sinking. Once it hit the bottom he swam to the top to go for the 2nd pellet. I can try taking out the gravel on the one side where the hole to feed him is. Ill leave the stuff that keeps his plant standing at the back. Its worth a shot. I'll try it tomorrow when I change him.
Old 08-30-2013, 10:03 PM   #60 
ANHEL123

Is he eating flakes that you have? If he is eating them try to trick him , give him one flake and one pellet. Good luck:)
ANHEL123 is offline   Reply With Quote