Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-28-2013, 09:49 PM   #11 
shannonpwns

Okay I will see what I can get, ill post in the classifieds here if I need to.
Is there another name for Mayaca fluviatilis? I can't find it on eBay, not even under what google says its common name is "stream bogmoss". If I can't find that, ill try hornwort and java moss. If the hornwort gives me trouble, ill consider removing it. The tank will have the same type light as my sorority, so hopefully it's fine.
shannonpwns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 10:56 PM   #12 
Darth

It bothers me slightly because as I have said, I am not a newbie and have been a breeder 40 pus years with a degree in genetics, if I saw anything other than what I have seen through years of experience I would have said as much.
It grinds me when they try to "Break It down for me" hahaha
Darth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 10:59 PM   #13 
Darth

I don't claim to know it all and some things have changed but I sure know quit a bit about it, I also am always willing to learn more.
Old 08-28-2013, 11:00 PM   #14 
shannonpwns

And that is why I trust what you're saying! :D Ill have some proof soon enough if my fry survive. Lol
Old 08-28-2013, 11:02 PM   #15 
Darth

Here is another standing argument, that has to do with genes...I say that if new blood is not brought into yellow, or orange it will begin to fade in 5 gens are maybe 4....I have a guy right now fighting me on this, but....he hasn't got to F5 yet either, its the nature of the beast..you can eliminate this by crossing to Chocolate, or classic Cambodian...also crossing orange to yellow and back and forth..but at some point an outcross needs to be done or you will end up with colorless bettas!!
Its like the people in the old days that crossed melanos to steel...wow, what a mistake!! I had a fertile line of melanos even back then using red as a base, red does not introduce a color that is almost impossible to breed out, it may leave a slight red cast to the fish but that is prefered over a metallic blue sheen, not many yellows back then or I am sure that would have ben better to use.

Last edited by Darth; 08-28-2013 at 11:05 PM.
Old 08-29-2013, 08:52 AM   #16 
JayM

1. When siphoning out water during WCs, is there any way to ensure I don't suck up any fry?
I use airline tubing & thoroughly check the bucket before giving it to the plants.

2. What do you do with fry during WCs? Do you remove them or leave them in the tank? How do you do a 100% WC if you leave them in?
Leave them.

3. When do you start WCs? Is it after the fry are free swimming and after their first MW meal?
When they're 2wks old.

4. How soon after you feed do any leftovers need to be siphoned out before it starts rotting? Do you just do 100% WC after each feeding?
We started with egg yolk with our 1st spawn so I siphoned about an hour after feeding. BBS had no need. We have microworms, vinegar eels & BBS for this attempt.

5. How many MWs need to be fed at each feeding? I have 3 cultures of MWs going at the moment. Is that enough?
Not sre what mealworms are? Can't help with that one sorry.

JayM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 09:19 AM   #17 
Myates

Darth... :)
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 10:10 AM   #18 
shannonpwns

Jaylee, MWs= microworms, not mealworms. :D

Thank you! You don't change the water until they're 2 weeks old?
Old 08-29-2013, 10:48 AM   #19 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

Some breeders start on the first day, some wait till they are two weeks old... As long as you are careful doing it right off the bat should be fine.
MattsBettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 11:11 AM   #20 
shannonpwns

As for sucking up fry, can I put like a nylon over the sucking end and if one sucks to it, just lift up the other end of the tubing? Or would that damage them? I'm more worried about one bending in half in the tube, I'm imagining them delicate as tissue paper... o.o