Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-29-2013, 02:54 PM   #21 
shannonpwns

Made my own spawning mop today! Still have to boil and soak it though. But I like how it turned out!
Attached Images

shannonpwns is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 03:28 PM   #22 
logisticsguy

I use a airstone on the end of the tubing to drain water slowly into a bucket. Never have sucked fry in yet and I start this 3-4 days after hatching. Gravity feeds the incoming replacement water via adjustable drip from small container mounted above. This system keeps sudden changes hurting the fry. Turkey baster removes the waste at the bottom and always check bucket for fry sucked up accidently. If sudden spike happens I have a product from Seachem in the tank called Ammonia Alert just in case. You can use a seasoned sponge filter on low as well as a sponge fluval prefilter stuffed with Matrix to keep bb as high as possible. Important to not overfeed fry with bbs in the 1st 2 weeks sbd can easily happen in this stage. Infusoria via giant duckweed ect. or premake your own. VE are good food early with small amount bbs. Im not a big fan of microworms or banana worms. Prefer to use a mix (variety) of live and dry food like Atisons betta starter which has good protein and high in hufa. Over feeding pollutes the water and makes fry sick. When fry get to 14-20 days old you can really start to up the food volume to grow them faster.
logisticsguy is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 03:29 PM   #23 
LittleBettaFish

Nice spawning mop. Mine always look a lot more slap-dash than that.

Although bettas don't use spawning mops, or do you have other species of fish you are trying to breed?
LittleBettaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 03:36 PM   #24 
shannonpwns

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleBettaFish View Post
Nice spawning mop. Mine always look a lot more slap-dash than that.

Although bettas don't use spawning mops, or do you have other species of fish you are trying to breed?
Was going to use it as something for the fry to hide out in, not for the actual spawn process. :) I want to get java moss, but I don't really trust my LFS 100%, due to the leech I found in my tank that HAD to have come from their plants. But I will have hornwort and a few other real plants as well, just wanted to give them some extra cover.
Old 08-29-2013, 03:40 PM   #25 
Ilikebutterflies

Hey nice spawn mop! Looks waaay better than mine,lol. I do use mine in the spawn tanks because it provides really good cover for the females... and it doesn't drop leaves.

I hope to have a huge mass of java moss for breeding and fry one day but mine never seems to grow fast.
Ilikebutterflies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 03:45 PM   #26 
shannonpwns

@logisticsguy - thank you! The air stone on the end is a good idea. Does that go on the intake end when doing WCs?

I will look into ammonia alert, never heard of that before.

Unfortunately I don't have a seasoned sponge, as my new cycle crashed in my 20g a few days ago.... >.>
Old 08-29-2013, 03:46 PM   #27 
LittleBettaFish

Ah okay. I did something similar in one of my wild betta tanks (but it was to provide surface cover so they were less shy) and wasn't sure if you were thinking of using it somewhere along those lines.

I find the java moss you are not trying to actively grow is the stuff that grows the fastest haha.
LittleBettaFish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 03:47 PM   #28 
shannonpwns

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilikebutterflies View Post
Hey nice spawn mop! Looks waaay better than mine,lol. I do use mine in the spawn tanks because it provides really good cover for the females... and it doesn't drop leaves.

I hope to have a huge mass of java moss for breeding and fry one day but mine never seems to grow fast.
Thanks! My sons Dr Seuss book was the perfect size to roll it around hahah. It's a little over 200 strands, as I wrapped it 110 times.
Old 08-29-2013, 03:49 PM   #29 
shannonpwns

I've looked up that atisons betta starter, and it says its discontinued. Is there an equivalent?

I was just going to feed MWs and BBS. But this is why I started this thread, I want to make sure I don't mess anything up!
Old 08-29-2013, 03:51 PM   #30 
logisticsguy

Quote:
Originally Posted by shannonpwns View Post
@logisticsguy - thank you! The air stone on the end is a good idea. Does that go on the intake end when doing WCs?

I will look into ammonia alert, never heard of that before.

Unfortunately I don't have a seasoned sponge, as my new cycle crashed in my 20g a few days ago.... >.>
Yes I use a fine airstone on the intake end. Only push in in a couple of inches deep or as far down as you want the water level. You don't want to over fill the bucket accidently. I try to season up a extra sponge or 2 all the time. Fry are extra sensitive to ammonia. If you keep an eye on it via daily testing it will be fine. The main goal in 1st 14 days is just keeping them alive. Growth can wait for later.
logisticsguy is online now   Reply With Quote