Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-28-2013, 09:44 PM   #1 
finnfinnfriend

So, any good water conditioner besides prime?

Don't get me wrong, I really like prime, and will continue to use it for my ten gallon. However, I like to have a separate bottle of conditioner for each tank, and even with the smallest available prime bottle, for my 2.5 gallon tank I did the math, and it would last me over six years. Now I know Prime does not have an expiration date, but I really don't want any consumable liquid chemical product for that long.... I like to replace my betta food every year as well, and I feel bad about wasting it.

So, is there any good complete water conditioner besides prime that is a little less concentrated? Maybe some type of "betta conditioner" or something that removes chloramine and temporarily detoxes ammonia as well as detoxes heavy metals. There has to be something out there. Thanks.
finnfinnfriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 10:48 PM   #2 
NorthernLights

I haven't seen anything as good as Prime. StressCoat+ doesn't detoxify ammonia, and Ammo-Lock proved to be a bad idea with my very hard water conditions.

Considering that Omega One or New Life Spectrum food is enough to last ages and ages (so if you replace it, yearly you will have to throw some out), you may need to bite the bullet and resign yourself to tossing some every year.
NorthernLights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 11:08 PM   #3 
finnfinnfriend

What about Aqueon or Tetra?
Old 08-28-2013, 11:14 PM   #4 
fishkid

Pretty much everyone I know uses Prime. Seachem's a good company. Aqueon and Tetra not so much. I'd only trust those for equipment.
fishkid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 11:21 PM   #5 
finnfinnfriend

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishkid View Post
Pretty much everyone I know uses Prime. Seachem's a good company. Aqueon and Tetra not so much. I'd only trust those for equipment.
Blah. So Prime is just a monopoly for an all-in-one?

PS. I do really like Aqueon's glass aquariums ;)
Old 08-28-2013, 11:28 PM   #6 
finnfinnfriend

I just found this, what do you think :/ read the description
http://www.petco.com/product/112093/...ed-_-Product_2

If there really isn't anything at all, I guess I will have to throw it out every year...But I would rather not. And also rather not have a bottle of liquid for 6 years lol.

Also this is supposed to detox ammonia, although I can't prove it: http://www.petco.com/product/105278/...nditioner.aspx
Old 08-28-2013, 11:31 PM   #7 
LittleBettaFish

There is a brand I saw mentioned on an Australia forum called 'Fraction' that is supposedly on par with Prime and at a lower cost. Whether or not these claims are true I am not certain because I have never used it.

http://www.aquariumproducts.com.au/c...=6552&catID=36

That is the product description there and it does make some pretty bold claims about what it can do. Maybe someone on here has experience with it and can say whether it would rival Prime or not.
LittleBettaFish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 11:32 PM   #8 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

Primes what I use and trust. It works out to be cheap because it is so concentrated. Why don't you just buy one bottle for all of your tanks?
MattsBettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 11:34 PM   #9 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

I never understood why Prime has so many undisclosed ingredients and how they admit themselves that they don't know how their product works.

Unless your tank is not cycled you should never be worrying about ammonia.

And the heavy metals detox is bogus IMO because generally they are only made inert for 24-48 hours or so, then they're as they were. At least this is what I heard from Seachem, though I'm sure other conditioners work the same.
Just regular API conditioner is perfect I'd say. Just my opinion, I know this forum is big on Prime.
Olympia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2013, 11:36 PM   #10 
finnfinnfriend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olympia View Post
I never understood why Prime has so many undisclosed ingredients and how they admit themselves that they don't know how their product works.

Unless your tank is not cycled you should never be worrying about ammonia.

And the heavy metals detox is bogus IMO because generally they are only made inert for 24-48 hours or so, then they're as they were. At least this is what I heard from Seachem, though I'm sure other conditioners work the same.
Just regular API conditioner is perfect I'd say. Just my opinion, I know this forum is big on Prime.
Interesting point. Do you use the API?

ETA: If there is ammonia in my source water (from the chloramine), would the short exposure until the BB eat it be a problem at all?

Last edited by finnfinnfriend; 08-28-2013 at 11:40 PM.