Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-28-2013, 11:38 PM   #11 
finnfinnfriend

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattsBettas View Post
Primes what I use and trust. It works out to be cheap because it is so concentrated. Why don't you just buy one bottle for all of your tanks?
Well the most practical reason is because I don't live with my ten gallon. So having a seperate bottle there (at my parents house) all the time eliminates me forgetting it when I go over there to do a water change.

Money isn't too much of an issue since we are talking about $5 max here...

Last edited by finnfinnfriend; 08-28-2013 at 11:41 PM.
finnfinnfriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 06:24 AM   #12 
rickey
Banned

There are many good condistioner on the market. The one I use when shipping livestock is ClorAm-X manufactured by AquaScience Research Group. This is the powdered form of prime. a pound of yhis would last you some where around a 100 years in the home aquarium setting.

Rick
rickey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 09:18 AM   #13 
NorthernLights

There are many water conditioners on the market. You specifically asked about water conditioners that neutralize ammonia -- that IS unusual -- Prime is one of very few that do that.

Most of the available ones will neutralize chlorine and chloramines. Many of the high-quality ones will neutralize heavy metals. Ammonia is the kicker. If you have tap water that contains ammonia (you'll need a liquid testing kit to determine that), then you will want something like Prime whether your tank is cycled or not, as it neutralizes ammonia almost instantly, whereas the bacteria in your tank (if it is cycled) will some time to metabolize it. Otherwise, you're adding ammonia to your tank water every time you do a water change!

Stress Coat+ is probably the second-most popular conditioner here. It does everything Prime does EXCEPT the ammonia. You can even get it in some stores in a tiny flip-top bottle. I refill mine from a bigger bottle so I can measure it out accurately.
NorthernLights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 10:00 AM   #14 
Olympia
TFK Moderator

Even a basic conditioner takes care of chloramines because sodium thiosulfate removes both chlorine and chloramines.
Most if not all ammonia will be present in your tap as chloramines.
If you have actual ammonia in your tap water, gosh I would call the city and ask why they are allowing that, not good for fish or humans at all. I know here such a thing would never be allowed. (Can't speak for wells but can't imagine wells would have ammonia. o.O)
Olympia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 10:01 AM   #15 
Canis

I use Kordon AmQuel Plus Ammonia Detoxifier as my water conditioner, and I add stress coat if someone has been biting their fins.
Canis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 01:01 PM   #16 
rickey
Banned

double post

Last edited by rickey; 08-29-2013 at 01:07 PM.
Old 08-29-2013, 01:06 PM   #17 
rickey
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Olympia View Post
Even a basic conditioner takes care of chloramines because sodium thiosulfate removes both chlorine and chloramines.
Most if not all ammonia will be present in your tap as chloramines.
If you have actual ammonia in your tap water, gosh I would call the city and ask why they are allowing that, not good for fish or humans at all. I know here such a thing would never be allowed. (Can't speak for wells but can't imagine wells would have ammonia. o.O)

THe EPA standard for Total Ammonia Nitrogen(TAN ) is 17 mg/L (TAN) at pH 7.0 and temperature 20 [deg]C.witch is 17 ppm, this is the point where fines would kick in not the beginning of over sight (that starts at a little less that 2 ppm) so the standard is not as strict as you would think

Rick
Old 08-29-2013, 01:54 PM   #18 
finnfinnfriend

Thanks for all the info. I will be getting the little 1 oz dropper bottle of the stresscoat +. perfect size for a 2.5 gal. How many drops per gallon? Or does it say on the bottle?
Old 08-30-2013, 08:21 AM   #19 
Polkadot

API Stress Coat + is very good.I like it and Prime the best.
Polkadot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 07:55 PM   #20 
finnfinnfriend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polkadot View Post
API Stress Coat + is very good.I like it and Prime the best.
Agreed :)