Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-06-2009, 09:22 PM   #1 
Zoro

Healthy-Sick Cycle

I got a new Betta about 3 weeks ago. He was a happy, healthy fish until two days after the first water change. He started having trouble swimming, then floated to the surface and rolled onto this his side. I wasn't overfeeding and used treated water.

This cycle has now happened three times...seems sick, change water, gets happier, then about 48 hours later back to swimming funny and floating to the surface. I have been reading about pH and know I could do better with the water balance, but why would a water change help, but only for a short time? Betta experts...help!

Zoro
Zoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 09:29 PM   #2 
Luxornv

I'm no expert, but how is the temperature in your tank? I know bettas prefer warm water, and if you have no heater, this could explain the cycle; you change the water and probably use warm water. As time passes, the water cools off and your fish becomes lethargic.
Luxornv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2009, 09:50 PM   #3 
Zoro

Thanks for the reply. That might be true in the winter, but it's usually in the upper 70s in my place during the summer. I've ruled out temperature, swim bladder, I use salt with every water change...I just can't figure this one out.
Old 07-06-2009, 11:49 PM   #4 
dr2b

Have you tested your water to check the pH and what not?

And welcome to FishForum!!
dr2b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 02:27 AM   #5 
BBgirl

dr2b your Flair looks a lot like my daughters Baby Tomato. Do his fins tip off in white too?

I don't know but I've quit using salt for the small water changes and only add it when I do a full change. Maybe it's too much salt for him at one time (for long periods).
Just a thought.
BBgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 09:57 AM   #6 
dr2b

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBgirl View Post
dr2b your Flair looks a lot like my daughters Baby Tomato. Do his fins tip off in white too?
Nope, his fins end in whatever color leads up to the end (blue, red, etc). :)
Old 07-07-2009, 10:44 AM   #7 
Angelmonster

What is the size of the tank?

The two things I can think of are swim bladdeR(this is a classic sign), the PH being wonky and finally that your water does not have enough oxygen in it. I doubt it is that unless you have like a cup sized tank(which I know you don't). Maybe if you ruled out the rest buy an airstone or plants for the tank to add oxygen back to the water.

In all honesty though it sounds like a PH problem or swim bladder.
Angelmonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 10:50 AM   #8 
dr2b

I thought it sounded like a swim bladder problem (especially with him floating on his side). I don't think it has anything to do with tank temperature as previously mentioned - they usually leaves a fish lethargic if the tank is too cold...I haven't heard of a fish lying on it's side from being too cold.
Old 07-07-2009, 10:52 AM   #9 
Angelmonster

Yeah it is not a temp problem. Just test the PH and fix that and hold off on feeding him for a whole 24 hours, that way if it is one of those problems they are easily fixed.

Just if you need to adjust your PH adjust it slowly. Put a few drops in, wait a few hours and then put some more in.
Angelmonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2009, 09:42 PM   #10 
Zoro

Thanks for the replies! I'm pretty convinced it has something to do with pH. However, I'm still perplexed as to why he gets better for two days every time and then starts acting weird again. The person at the fish store (the expert was out today) said pH can't be adjusted in bowls. Is that true? She told me to buy drinking water because it is pH neutral. If anyone else has other suggestions to share, please do.