Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-09-2009, 06:25 AM   #1 
Joerin

Could tank be too hot?

Hi

My daughter has had her Betta for about two weeks now. We've been reading all we can to learn how to take care of him (he's our first). We have a 1 gallon tank, but a hydro mini heater for a 2.5 gallon tank. The water sometimes gets up to 84 degress, and I've noticed in the last few days he hasn't swam too much. Could the temp be too high? I've been s worried about it being too cold, I never thought he could be too warm. I did a water change on Tuesday, and today he is sitting at the bottom of the tank. He never did that before, at least for a long period of time. Any suggestions? Thanks!
Joerin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 06:41 AM   #2 
BakaMandy

Yeah, 84 degrees is a little too high D: Keep it to the 76-80 degree temperature zone. Betta thrive best in that temperature.
BakaMandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 07:04 AM   #3 
Joerin

Thanks.....I unplugged the heater, and he started swimming around ~ He's back at the top looking more normal. The temp is down to 82 already. Is there anyway to regulate those heaters, other than taking the plug in and out? Maybe a timer or something?
Old 07-09-2009, 08:09 AM   #4 
dramaqueen
Banned

76 to 82 is a good temperature range for bettas.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 10:04 AM   #5 
cottoncandygirl

i dont really know about doing something but generally u can choose the temperature u want it to have but i dont really know where u can do that cause i live in a tropical climate place soo i dont really need it but im almost 100% sure that u can make the temperature a little bit more cold :D
cottoncandygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 10:09 AM   #6 
bettababe321

I had that same heater in a 1 gallon tank and also had that problem. I ended up not using it at all, there is no way to adjust the heat on it and my bettas tank was also at 84 degrees. It stays around 76 without it so I figured it was better to be a little on the cold side than really hot.
bettababe321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 11:02 AM   #7 
Angelmonster

The best way to use heaters like that is with a plug timer. Some are so advance they can pop on for an hour, turn off for two then turn back on for an hour. In the summe ryou might not need it! Keep it though for the winter! You will probably need it if you live somewhere with really cold temps!
Angelmonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 11:43 AM   #8 
Joerin

Thanks again......I've pretty much had it unplugged most of the day, the temp is staying around 76-77, but now the fish is just hanging out on top of the tank, vertical. He doesn't look too good.....I live in NY, but I do have air conditioning, so it's not really super hot, plus we've been having a cool summer so far. The last time I unplugged the heater, the water seemed to go down to 75 in no time. I'm wondering if I should just spring for a little bigger tank and the heater would work better, if the little guy lasts that long ;(