Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-27-2009, 04:48 PM   #11 
ecoprincess

i dont get it. Can someone plse explain to me what a bubble nest and why would my single male fish be making one?
ecoprincess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 04:57 PM   #12 
TaraHanon

Male bettas blow bubble nests when they are happy and/or ready to mate.
TaraHanon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 05:04 PM   #13 
Cerulean02

It really is just a sign they're ready to mate. Not a sign of happiness, you can have a perfectly happy betta that doesn't build a nest. After mine hit the ripe age of 2 he stopped making bubble nests, but he's still just as happy as he has ever been.
Cerulean02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 08:35 PM   #14 
pooka

Okay bubble nest? I noticed our two betta's ( both males in seperate bowels) have these bubbles like the pic showed. I thought something was wrong with the water and it needed to get cleaned out like, I don't know, like it was a mix of yuck and oxygen or something weird like that! Are you guys saying that that mass of bubbles at the top is from the fish?
These fish have only been here for about a week maybe a little longer..... actually they will have been here for two weeks this Saturday.
What do they do with these bubbles and how sad it is that I have to get rid of it because of the water changes.

sooooooooooo what happens with it and how often do they do it and why do they do it ect......
please please tell me about this bubble nest thingy. Are there anything else they do that is neat like this?
wow so cool.
pooka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 09:31 PM   #15 
dramaqueen
Banned

Male bettas will blow bubble nests in preparation for mating. Just because they do that does not mean they need to be bred. The eggs are put into the nest by the male and there they stay until they hatch and the fry are free swimming.It doesn't hurt anything if they are dumped out during water changes...they'll just build a new one.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 09:39 PM   #16 
pooka

So how do the males put the eggs in the nest? Wow this stuff is making want to go out and buy a 10 gallon or so and get more fish. I bred guppies and neons when i was a kid but that was pretty easy.

Thanks for the info on this. I can't wait to see if they build a new one after the water change. The females don't build these bubble nest?
thanks
pooka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 09:45 PM   #17 
dramaqueen
Banned

When they spawn, the eggs start to fall to the bottom and the male and sometimes the female will pick up the eggs and spit them into the bubblenest. Normally, females don't build bubblenests but some do.
Old 07-28-2009, 12:51 AM   #18 
Starbright

My first betta would always blow bubble nests but suddenly stopped ;[ My other boy, I think, is still too young to blow nests. I miss having bubble nests in the tank =/
Starbright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 01:18 AM   #19 
dramaqueen
Banned

Yeah, they're pretty cool.
Old 07-28-2009, 03:02 AM   #20 
Jynx

A lot of fish have interesting ways to keep the eggs and fry safe- some keep their babies in their mouths or in pouches like seahorses. Betta keep them in a foamy nest so the water current doesn't scatter them everywhere. It's pretty interesting.
Jynx is offline   Reply With Quote