Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish
View Poll Results: Why does it seem nobody breeds CTxCT?
they are harder/take more time 2 15.38%
they are not desireable/ 4 30.77%
takes more equipment 0 0%
they are too easy to perfect 0 0%
they are beautiful and I would love breeding them 7 53.85%
Voters: 13. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-30-2013, 09:16 PM   #21 
Croz711

My royal blue crown tails just wrapped up today! AND... I would love to adopt that beaut! I love the tips of its' fins and that color would be great to breed with since I don't think it would affect any stronger colors!
Croz711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 09:16 PM   #22 
Croz711

Wink

....AND sorry Ilikebutterflies !
Old 08-30-2013, 10:41 PM   #23 
JayM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perseusmom View Post
I love CTs too and my guy is a CT and I do not have hard water so his fins are not curled at all. I also agree about the weight of the fins on the HM and that is why I would never get one as well. I would hope here that the HMPKs would be the next big hit Betta type here in the U.S. they are really awesome since their fins do not weight them down, love them Best of luck in your spawn ! I am not a breeder though just owned by my guy Perseus..lol
That's why I like HMPKs too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilikebutterflies View Post
I personally blame this thread on my recent purchase on a whim-I not only bought a CROWNTAIL...I bought distilled water too. ONE of you is going to adopt this orange butterfly CT fish as soon as the novelty wears off

Hahahahaha he is lovely.
JayM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 12:11 AM   #24 
Jennifer Vazquez

I just bred CT X CT. Most of the fry are free swimming but a few are still hanging in the bubbles. I wasen't aware that hard water has a effect on fins, but I have hard water , I have a older water heart so I have noticed a highr concentration of calcium in my hot water than my cold water, but I usually boil my water and let it cool to room temp. before I add the water conditioner. My males fins are not curled yet, I have had him a couple of months now. I suggest if your going to boil the water though you use a old pot that you don't really need because over time the calcium builds up and gets harder to clean from your pots and pans. You could also use a drinking water filter type thing that might remove some of the hard water, but I don't know if that would leave the other minerals that your betta needs. also boiling the water won't get rid of all the calcium, but it does get rid of a lot of it. hope that helps....

P.s. I counted about 30 free swimming fry.keep your fingers crossed that most live!
Jennifer Vazquez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 12:45 AM   #25 
Croz711

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennifer Vazquez View Post
I just bred CT X CT. Most of the fry are free
P.s. I counted about 30 free swimming fry.keep your fingers crossed that most live!
My male ate most of the eggs, but it was my fault. I took him out prematurely and then put him back in with the eggs...not a good idea.. Despite that, I just saw around 5-10 free swimming fry :)...I dont think they are going to make it, but it has been a great learning experience!
Old 09-01-2013, 12:45 PM   #26 
Myates

Why wouldn't they make it? Feed them right and right temp, they should..
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 10:41 PM   #27 
Croz711

Quote:
Originally Posted by Myates View Post
Why wouldn't they make it? Feed them right and right temp, they should..
I just did a head count and now have discovered around 70 little fry all over the place.. I'm afraid I am feeding them too much or prematurely...I hope it doesn't foul the water yet. I will start my water changes when they get big enough to see without an LED light
Old 09-02-2013, 12:51 AM   #28 
indjo
TFK Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Croz711 View Post
I don't have the proper water source for them either ;/
What is your favorite type to breed? and What type would be good for a new breeder to start with>? ...I know it'll take years to perfect
Breeding difficulty is practically the same for ALL fin types but in terms of fin maintenance (from easiest);
1. Plakat: Short fins are the most adaptive, they can take both hard and soft water as well as high and low pH. Ray/fin Sensitivity is also influenced by ray count and fish age. More rays and older bettas are usually more sensitive. Though daily exercise is needed, yet it isn't as big a determinant as for long fins (unless it has excessive rays).

2. Halfmoon: Fairly adaptive as long as the water isn't too hard nor too soft. Ideal pH is around 6.5 - 8. Lower or higher parameters would ruin their fins, specially at a later age. Also an important issue for HM is exercise. Without it, the fins cannot spread to its maximum. A daily minimum of 15 minutes flaring time is needed.

3. CrownTail: Most sensitive of all fin types. Maintaining hard thick and straight fins can be quite a challenge if our water source is not ideal (softer water with pH close to 7). Daily exercise is also needed to avoid fins from clamping together.
indjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 12:55 PM   #29 
Jennifer Vazquez

I did a water change when all the fry were free swimming, from what I see they all are fine, I put some of the old water back in though. It's easy to count them, My final count was 91 fry. I have the opposite problem though I feel like I'm not feeding them enough because I can't tell if they are eating. Good luck!!
Jennifer Vazquez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 02:50 PM   #30 
Croz711

Haha well I know that feeling as well! And thank you :) I hope your fish all grow big and strong as well :D