Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-09-2009, 07:05 AM   #11 
neenjar

salt bath, clean water, bettafix, if his condition worsens get ampicillin.

Meds like ampicillin are great, but if used heavily bacteria build up a resistance to it. 10-12 years ago the maracyn products were the end all cure all for bacterial infections, they were used so heavilly that today they can only treat moderate cases, not hard cases.

I always start with the holistic methods, salt bath + water change + bettafix or melafix on non anabantids.
neenjar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 10:00 AM   #12 
BakaMandy

Will do. I gave him his first salt bath today and he took it pretty well.

His case just seems pretty bad and I'm worried. I'm already behind in battling his fin rot since he's had it for so long. I want to at least clear up the bacteria infection on his tail because it looks so swollen and unnatural. And his breathing is so shallow you have to be very still and look at him for a long time to make sure he's still alive. He only moves to go to the surface for air which he doesn't do as often as my other betta. At least he's eating though.
BakaMandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 10:12 AM   #13 
neenjar

As bad as he is I would give 5 salt baths a day until he starts healing then back it off to 3, then 1.

give a bath, then acclimate to tank for an hour or so then back to the bath.
Old 07-09-2009, 10:21 AM   #14 
BakaMandy

I wouldn't be able to do exactly five a day. D: I have to go to work for 8 hours. Tomorrow I have the day off so I'll do that, but I wouldn't be able to fit 5 in one day every day :S
Old 07-09-2009, 10:41 AM   #15 
Vikki81207

Aww that poor guy. =(
I hope he gets better. Keep us updated.
Vikki81207 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 02:02 PM   #16 
MrVampire181

I like the Gel-Tek Ampicillin, it's also a medicated fish food :) You can order it through www.petmountain.com . Methylene Blue can be found at your local fish store.

You can use Maracyn until you get the ampicillin, just so there's something in the water to kill bacteria and prevent more bacteria from infecting him.
MrVampire181 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 02:55 PM   #17 
neenjar

Quote:
Originally Posted by BakaMandy View Post
I wouldn't be able to do exactly five a day. D: I have to go to work for 8 hours. Tomorrow I have the day off so I'll do that, but I wouldn't be able to fit 5 in one day every day :S
I hear ya, I work 8-20 hours a day,some days I have lots of time, other day I need 8 day weeks with 25 hours days... ahh the life of a corporate IT slave! they really need to make me hourly
Old 07-09-2009, 03:00 PM   #18 
dramaqueen
Banned

Sounds like my brother's job!
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 11:24 PM   #19 
BakaMandy

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrVampire181 View Post
I like the Gel-Tek Ampicillin, it's also a medicated fish food :) You can order it through www.petmountain.com . Methylene Blue can be found at your local fish store.

You can use Maracyn until you get the ampicillin, just so there's something in the water to kill bacteria and prevent more bacteria from infecting him.
Awe, it only ships to USA only ): I live in Canada... there's so many fish products that you can't get in Canada, it kinda sucks.

@Neenjar: T_T;; yeah... Urgh I'm so tired from work now I don't know if I have the energy to set up a salt bath...

btw, what happens if you need to make a salt bath? I don't have a 1 gallon to constantly keep available to measure out proper proportions to give a proper salt bath. :S is there like... a ratio thing or something to kinda make smaller amounts?

Last edited by BakaMandy; 07-09-2009 at 11:26 PM.
Old 07-10-2009, 06:59 AM   #20 
neenjar

Quote:
Originally Posted by BakaMandy View Post
Awe, it only ships to USA only ): I live in Canada... there's so many fish products that you can't get in Canada, it kinda sucks.

@Neenjar: T_T;; yeah... Urgh I'm so tired from work now I don't know if I have the energy to set up a salt bath...

btw, what happens if you need to make a salt bath? I don't have a 1 gallon to constantly keep available to measure out proper proportions to give a proper salt bath. :S is there like... a ratio thing or something to kinda make smaller amounts?
I'm sure there is but I'm a computer guy not a mathematician I recommend buying a gallon of water form the grocery store, drinking the contents or emptying and keeping that around and using that to measure with. It's what I do.