Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish
Closed Thread

Old 08-29-2013, 01:07 PM   #1 
Chutney

Smile Thinking of breeding

I have come to the decision to try to breed. I have 3 gorgeous boys, Bandit a purple and yellow halfmoon doubletail, Cosmo is a cambodian like veiltail or spadetail(please tell me I am not sure with his fins) and Neptune my pretty blue/turquoise veiltail. Which one do you think would make the best colors and finnage in fry? Neptune is my avatar and I will post pictures of Bandit and Cosmo when I figure out how to do it. Tell me what you think and which boy I should breed in the comments!
Old 08-29-2013, 05:24 PM   #2 
Myates

How do you plan to find them all homes? Anywhere from 10-800 fry can come from a spawn. If you plan to breed the VTs you will need many ways to sell them as usually it's hard to find people who are willing to spend so much money on a common colored VT one can get at the store for $3. Keep that in mind when choosing what to breed.

If you go with the HMDT male, make sure the female is an HM - don't go with DT unless you know how to breed the DT line as it's a bit different due to it being a deformity.
Old 08-29-2013, 06:40 PM   #3 
Chutney

Thank you for the tip. The fish in my area at walmart petsmart and petco are almost 5 dollars so I think I will find people. I will be careful when breding
Old 08-29-2013, 06:42 PM   #4 
Chutney

I am planning to try and get the male away after a few embraces since I will be newish to breeding.
Old 08-29-2013, 06:51 PM   #5 
Myates

Don't take the male away! That won't guarantee a smaller spawn, just guarantee a high risk of losing your whole spawn.. you run the risk of the male eating all of the eggs because they got disturbed if you try to take the female out, also risking none being fertilized as after spawning he will go through them and clean them up and you won't know which ones are viable. You won't get the chance to get the female out after a few embraces without risking losing all of the eggs.

When breeding you have to prepare for such things - you can cull them later if you wish. Walmart may sell them for that price, but I guarantee you that you won't find a lot of people buying VTs from you that isn't local - and finding local buyers can be tough. They may go for that price at your Walmart, but how many are actually being sold?
Old 08-29-2013, 06:57 PM   #6 
Myates

How many jars/containers do you have to house each fish individually?

How do you plan to heat each of those containers appropriately?

How big and how many grow out tanks do you have?

Live plants? IAL?

What foods do you have prepared to feed the fry, do you know when and how much of the food, and how to keep the food alive?

Heaters, sponge filters, lights?

Do you have the hours per day it takes to do water changes in all the individual containers, every single day? Not to mention the regular water changes in the larger tanks?

How exactly are you going to go about selling these fish? How are you going to sell fish that people rather not spend the shipping costs for a pet store colored/quality VT? How are you going to sell them?

Know how to ship them and how to go about getting supplies to ship them? During winter since it's coming up?

Do you know how long it takes from conception until they are ready to be sold and do you have months to spend on one spawn?

Just some questions to ask as it seems you may need to do a bit more research if you think you can pull the male out during spawning - they are cuddled together under the nest and the male is the one that needs to care for the eggs to prevent fungus...
Old 08-29-2013, 06:58 PM   #7 
LittleBettaFish

I agree with Myates. Before you even contemplate breeding your bettas you should always consider the potential market for any fish you produce.

I would not breed the blue VT. The market is absolutely saturated with fish of this colour and quality, and you would most likely be hard pressed to even give your fry away.

What are your reasons for breeding? Breeding bettas is a serious undertaking and can be months of blood, sweat and tears. You most likely will struggle to break even, let alone make any money. Unless you have a viable market for your fry, I would advise not breeding. I don't like to see bettas that should not have been bred sold at a pittance because they are usually not going to the best of homes.
Old 08-29-2013, 11:15 PM   #8 
Chutney

Ok... I guess I will never feel the joy of bringing life into the world...:'(
Old 08-30-2013, 06:58 AM   #9 
Ilikebutterflies

Quote:
Ok... I guess I will never feel the joy of bringing life into the world...:'(
Absolutely the wrong reason to breed betta fish. People breed betta fish because bettas are considered to be living canvases due to their unique color layers within their skin. Breeding them is considered art. Before you can have good art you have to have a vision. You have to decide what colors are going where. Once you have an idea of the art you want to create then you get your supplies. Think of it like this: If you want to make a water color painting of the sunset you aren't going to go out and grab black sharpies and blue crayons. You probably wouldn't even be able to give your picture away if you did it that way. Same thing with bettas.
Old 08-30-2013, 09:44 PM   #10 
Chutney

Ok first of all read my posts. I am NOT just breeding to make life. I have been wanting to do it for years so don't lecture me on how stupid I am because I get that enough at school. I know what I'm doing and I just meant that I will never get to see my boys become fathers and the pride in knowing I DID this. I DID something that people might actually appreciate for once.
Closed Thread