Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 10-01-2013, 06:09 AM   #1 
BETTAVN

sp red x Bigear =?????

I am confused between sp red cross x bigear then get super red bigear not??? So I'm cross!
BETTAVN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2013, 10:40 PM   #2 
bambijarvis

No? o.O

Big ear seems recessive(or at the very least partial dominant) where some fry may have larger 'ears' but it doesn't really show up until f2+. From what I've seen anyway.

Color wise.
Most big ears are salamader-esque in color. There are a lot more colors available now,but this is still what I see most often. So it'd depend on the color of your big ear, what colors it carries(from it's parents/grandparents) and the same for it's mate as to what colors will show up.
Do you have pictures or is this more of a planning stage for getting reds with bigear?
Planning wise if you can find a red with the dumbo gene, and a nice red mate. You should get red offspring. Then breed one of the fry back to the big ear parent and the gene should start to show up again.
bambijarvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2013, 11:03 AM   #3 
snowflake311

Super big ear can mean the fish has pectorals that are super big. These super big ears are awful the pectorals are too big and people should not be breeding them to be as crazy big as they are. I have seen some big ears where the pectoral fins is almost as big as the fishes body or as big as the fish tail. That is just not good.

Normal big ears and what is the show standard is the pectoral should only be half the leanght of the body no longer and no shorter. I have

Big ears bred to big ear you will get big ears mostly. Big ear to a fish that has not big ear gene you will not get any big ears. But a big ear to a fish that carries the big ear gene will give you some big ears.

I am not sure if that answered your question or not.

Last edited by snowflake311; 10-02-2013 at 11:05 AM.
snowflake311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 07:57 AM   #4 
BETTAVN

Quote:
Originally Posted by snowflake311 View Post
Super big ear can mean the fish has pectorals that are super big. These super big ears are awful the pectorals are too big and people should not be breeding them to be as crazy big as they are. I have seen some big ears where the pectoral fins is almost as big as the fishes body or as big as the fish tail. That is just not good.

Normal big ears and what is the show standard is the pectoral should only be half the leanght of the body no longer and no shorter. I have

Big ears bred to big ear you will get big ears mostly. Big ear to a fish that has not big ear gene you will not get any big ears. But a big ear to a fish that carries the big ear gene will give you some big ears.

I am not sure if that answered your question or not.
I have male and female super red and super red. I made ​​a cross with any Bigear, how to get super red bigear.
Old 10-03-2013, 10:56 AM   #5 
snowflake311

It would take 2 generation to get big ears. The f1 fish will not be big ears. If your lucky maybe a few will have slightly larger pectorals. You take the best fry and breed it back to the big ear parent. This should get you mostly big ears.

snowflake311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 03:04 PM   #6 
bambijarvis

To get a super red big ear, your best bet would be to get a red big ear.
The fry will be reds/multies who are big-ear geno.
Breed the two reddest fry together.

Ideally, as you have both male and female reds. Get a male and female big ear.
Do two crosses(male red, female big ear. male big ear female red). Now you have two lines to work with/cross that are both bigear geno.
Pick the two reddest out of all the fry and spawn those.
You should start seeing more red/less other colors.
You can spawn another sibling back to one of the red parents and to get redder fry to cross with your now F2 reds-in-the-making big ears.

I saw a red dumbo super delta on ebay the other day, so just keep an eye out. If I see another I can pass the link to you...but I don't know where you live so I can't say if they can be shipped to you or not.

EDIT TO ADD: found a listing, can't promise quality or availability, but you can message the seller and see if that red is still available:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Dumbo-Betta-...item2a2ca91f71

One of the cheapest big ears I've seen.

Last edited by bambijarvis; 10-03-2013 at 03:11 PM.
bambijarvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2013, 11:44 PM   #7 
BETTAVN

thank you! I was in Vietnam, so the buyer on ebay with little difficulty. I try to see how to breed?? will update the information for your fish fry
Old 10-05-2013, 03:04 AM   #8 
indjo
TFK Moderator

+1 bambijarvis
Just want to add; breed a pair of the most red or 1 most red to a red cambodian with the biggest pectoral. Avoid the ones that shows any irid. colors.
It will take you a few generations to get a perfect super red big ear.

Good luck.
indjo is offline   Reply With Quote