Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish
Closed Thread

Old 08-30-2013, 09:46 PM   #11 
Chutney

Please don't me mad at me for snapping... I just got mad that it seems nobody approves of anything I do or want to do...
Old 08-30-2013, 09:47 PM   #12 
Chutney

And I meant the female
Old 08-30-2013, 09:48 PM   #13 
Chutney

If I know that they have at least 100 eggs. I have been sick I am not paying attention and I am groggy.
Old 08-30-2013, 10:01 PM   #14 
LittleBettaFish

Personally, the way I look at it as someone who has bred bettas in the past and will do so in the future, these prospective fry are living, feeling creatures that would not exist were it not for your intervention.

I think it is the responsibility of every breeder to ensure that the fish they are producing have a viable market that is a step above the fate that awaits most pet store bettas.

This is why I always discourage breeding bettas with fin types or colours that have already saturated the pet market. Such fry are going to struggle to find good homes.

What is the point in breeding if the best your fry can hope for is a short life in a dirty bowl? Not every betta lands in the hands of a knowledgable hobbyist, and I find the cheaper the fish, the less chance it has of being cared for correctly.
Old 08-30-2013, 10:07 PM   #15 
Chutney

I know that but I have been talking to people in my neighborhood about them and I have found almost 200 people willing to take fry. A betta enthusiast lives in my area and he is planning to take 5 females if this happens. I know what I am doing and have found homes for some of the fry. I have almost all the equipment and you guys aren't helping me choose which one to breed which was the question in the first place.
Old 08-30-2013, 10:15 PM   #16 
LittleBettaFish

The trouble is these people say they will all take fry, but until they actually step up to the plate and do it, you will be surprised how many people back out for various reasons.

I was almost going to put in my previous post not to trust the word of friends, family, co-workers etc. who say they will take fry because I have seen so many times where an animal (not only fish) has been bred with all offspring 'spoken for' and then when it comes time for the offspring to go to their new homes, hardly anyone sticks to their word.

If you are dead set on breeding, don't breed your blue VT. There are so many of them languishing on the shelves in pet and fish stores the world over. Same with Cambodian VTs. I see them everywhere here.

Your DT may be the best out of an average bunch, but you can end up with some pretty gruesome spinal/topline deformities when breeding DTs so it is something to be aware of when choosing a prospective female.

Have you got any photos of the males you intend on breeding and what females do you have?
Old 08-30-2013, 10:20 PM   #17 
Ilikebutterflies

Quote:
I just got mad that it seems nobody approves of anything I do or want to do..
Well, get over it. You let that be an obstacle it will always be an obstacle. You need to do things for yourself-not for approval. You will NEVER be happy if you live your life trying to get approval.

You are the one that posted this:

Quote:
Ok... I guess I will never feel the joy of bringing life into the world...:'(
I don't know you and I can't be expected to know the intent of a post. Might be wise to add in a "j/k" behind something like that?

Honestly, at the end of the day, nobody really cares what you do with your fish. It is YOUR problem if you end up with fish you can't give away. The time and effort and expense for the most part is identical if you breed good or bad fish. You post asking for advice and snap when you get it so it's likely pointless to try and explain anything.

I don't know if you are a kid or not-sounds like you probably are so here is some free advice. Don't take advice personally. It is how you learn. You wanna be successful with these fish or not? If not, do whatever you wanna do cause like I said nobody is losing sleep over it. If you do want to be successful do your homework and do things right.

Look up posts by Mr. Vampire. That is one young man-13ish I think-that did his homework and was successful. He really had some nice fish. This whole betta breeding thing isn't rocket science. You can be successful in a reasonably short time by reading up on genetics and such and asking questions.

Breeding bettas are mostly done for "art". Believe it or don't but it is what it is. The fish is just a different medium-which by definition is the substance on which an artist creates art.
Old 08-30-2013, 11:47 PM   #18 
Chutney

If you didn't understand something, read my other posts. I have explained my reasons.
Old 08-31-2013, 12:27 AM   #19 
blufish425

If you were knowledgeable enough to be breeding betta's, you would know that none of the 3 males you listed are a good breeding choice.
Old 08-31-2013, 01:32 AM   #20 
trilobite

+1 Ilikebutterflies and LBF

Honestly, whether you like it or not at the end of the day you will be creating undesirable fish. 95% of those will most likely go to unsuitable homes or even more likely you wont find homes for all of them.
My advice is to go out and buy a nice quality pair and breed them instead. That way you are creating fish that people will actually want to own and you will have a much higher chance of them going out to a good home
Closed Thread