Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish
Closed Thread

Old 08-31-2013, 03:40 AM   #31 
Chutney

I know that... it will make me sad, but I am also prepared to cull any that will suffer or will not be looked at as fish. I will try to find a vt female for bandit to improve vt fins and colors. If I don't find homes for all of the fry, what should I do?
Old 08-31-2013, 03:46 AM   #32 
trilobite

Pictures of each fish will help us tell you what to look for in a female. If you cant find a home them you may have to cull.

PS you should stop taking advice so personally

Last edited by trilobite; 08-31-2013 at 03:52 AM.
Old 08-31-2013, 03:49 AM   #33 
Chutney

I know. I just feel awful about what I said and I feel horrible health wise. You know what Neptune looks like. Cosmo is a cambodian like veiltail with rosy red fins and a pink glazed body.

Bandit is a deep blue purple with yellow and blue purple fins. He is a HMDT
Old 08-31-2013, 03:50 AM   #34 
LittleBettaFish

Well if you have a number of females left over, and you have the space, you can always set up a sorority tank. Being sisters, there is generally more chance they will get along.

I don't like to do it personally, but if you can find a fish store that will take any excess males that is always an option. You most likely will not get much if any money, but it doesn't mean you are warehousing fish for months on end.

Depending on your pair, your experience and basic luck, you may find you don't get that many fry anyway. Yes, there is a chance you could get hundreds of fry on your first spawn. However, if your pair are both virgins, and you are still new to the whole breeding game, you usually end up with a much more conservative number.
Old 08-31-2013, 03:52 AM   #35 
Chutney

I have never bred my own spawn before. Bandit has not bred and I will look for a youngish female in hopes it will counteract Bandit being middleaged.
Old 08-31-2013, 03:59 AM   #36 
LittleBettaFish

Honestly, I have fish that are one to two years spawn and never experienced any problems with the fry. While they are wild bettas and not necessarily splendens, I can't imagine they are that much different.

I think the only precaution I would take, would be to have Bandit or whoever you use, very well conditioned on a high-quality, high-protein diet (I like a combination of live, frozen and pellets) for a couple of weeks beforehand just to ensure he is in peak form. The act of spawning and then the subsequent egg and fry care can be a lot of work for a male and having him go into it plump and healthy is the best way of ensuring there are no issues with either him or the fry.
Old 08-31-2013, 04:00 AM   #37 
trilobite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chutney View Post
I know. I just feel awful about what I said and I feel horrible health wise. You know what Neptune looks like. Cosmo is a cambodian like veiltail with rosy red fins and a pink glazed body.

Bandit is a deep blue purple with yellow and blue purple fins. He is a HMDT
I can see that the blue vt in your avatar has a spoon head and weak peduncle so if you were going to use him then I would find a female with smooth topline and strong peduncle, ideally a blue one, or even better blue with red loss (no red)

Personally I think your hmdt sounds like your best bet but yeah, we need to see what his form is like eg if hes short bodied and crooked topline like many dt are then youd need a lady to compensate that. If you find a dirl with dt geno then you may get dt back in F1. A dt would be more likely to find homes more easily than vt would
Old 08-31-2013, 04:02 AM   #38 
Chutney

Just checked Bandit. His forehead just tilts straight down to his mouth... is that good?
Old 08-31-2013, 04:07 AM   #39 
trilobite

Like this?

Or this?
Old 08-31-2013, 04:13 AM   #40 
Chutney

The silver betta. Sorry it took so long, I had to go to the bathroom...
Closed Thread