Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-30-2013, 02:43 AM   #1 
ccaqua

New Owner, Triple Checking

Hey guys and gals!

I'm a soon-to-be first time betta owner (excluding a neglected short-lived fish as a kid:/ ), and want to make sure that I'm setting the little guy up right this time, to be happy and healthy.

I've got a 5 gal. Fluval Spec V aquarium, I followed the instructions and tap-rinsed all the parts and decor and everything. (Initial setup pic below; the li'l guy has a greco-roman mansion, haha). Tank filtered and has a heater set at 77F.

To cut to the chase; it's been two days and my water still has a touch of cloudiness that appeared after the initial setup. It's not to the degree of the posts I've seen about "milky cloudy water" where the explanation is a bacterial bloom.

It's a subtle change. Almost too little to even notice over pictures. And a slight film on top, that looks like floating dandruff (but the "flakes" are clear).

So: Is this normal bacterial bloom? It seems a little light opposed to the descriptions I've seen. I dropped a Marimo moss ball in the second day. Is this a normal "bloom?" Is it something else, harmful? Should I change the water? Suggestions?

Name:  20130827_203207.jpg
Views: 125
Size:  50.4 KB
ccaqua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 03:57 AM   #2 
Tikibirds

I dont think you would have the bacteria they are talking about in only 2 days..but I can be wrong. It takes over a month for a tank to cycle..so...

did you rinse the gravel really well?? This is how mine looked after I switched to plant specific substrate. it cleared up in a few hours
Tikibirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 04:45 PM   #3 
ccaqua

Yeah I rinsed the gravel well in a bowl before putting it in. It's not nearly as murky as the picture of yours. It's just a slight haze. I'll check it again when I get home; I guess if it doesn't settle by tomorrow I could do a partial water change.
ccaqua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 12:22 AM   #4 
NozzALa

I have the smaller version of that tank, 2.6 gallons, and mine had very slight clouding mostly in the middle of the tank a day or so after I set it up. I came home from work the next day and the filter had cleared it up completely.
NozzALa is offline   Reply With Quote