Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-30-2013, 07:43 AM   #1 
Iseul

How about this pair?

Well..I had free time last night and ended up at PetSmart..lol.
I'm getting a 10gal this weekend (and a 5) so I figured I'd go look at the females they had. I ended up coming home with two :p One is just beyond tiny, and one looks like she's about 3 months or so, this one.

So, what do you think about George and this girl (name suggestions too!)?
What's her colours? I believe she's a CT, atleast that's what she was labelled as.
What kind of colours should show up in the fry?

Posted via Mobile Device
Iseul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 09:05 AM   #2 
redthebetta

The bottom one looks AWESOME! And yes, the top one is a CT.
redthebetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 06:00 PM   #3 
trilobite

Shes an iridescent cambodian with copper instead of blue iridescence and yep shes a ct

Most likey blue with redwash maybe some copper with redwash too. Might get some lightbodied fish if male is carrying light body gene.

Finnagewise all longfins most likely vt to sd with round tails. Varying amounts of web reduction. And if youre really lucky the female might be carrying a pk gene so you might get shortfins back too
trilobite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 11:23 PM   #4 
Iseul

Well..he seems to be more interested in this blue girl than the cambodian...He's comoletely ignored her (they're currently in a separated tank until I get my 5 and 10 gals to start a sorority).

The problem I'm thinking of though is that George is a good two times the size of this little lady..Which I'm thinking is too large.

On the otherhand, Tamrine has a huge interest in this cambodian, and they're sized perfectly for each other. I'm wondering why he seems to have only half a dorsal though? Is that just a DT thing?

Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-31-2013, 01:20 PM   #5 
Myates

DT have the wide dorsal, not thin..

Breeding either of those females with either of those males will end up with "tweeners" - not long finned nor short like the PK. They will have messy fins, uneven web reduction.. sort of look shredded. You *may* end up with a halfsun, but again it won't have the long fin nor short fin that is standard.

The green boy has a light base, so you will end up with AOC (any other color) cambodians, some blue/green with red wash (red wash undesirable in anything outside of pets) if bred to the first girl.

The last male is just a regular PK (not HM), and breeding him with either of those girls will result in a rounder tail, also a 'tweener' - which is a double negative in the breeding world. Breeding the bottom guy with the top girl will result in mostly different variations of cambodians.

Breeding the blue girl with top boy will be blues with red wash
Blue girl with bottom boy is variations of blue also with red wash

Now, you are going to have to decide how you are going to sell them.. the "tweeners" and the shredded fins aren't going to be desirable on AB (if you get a halfsun, you might be able to sell it) - otherwise you will need to decide whether you are going the CT long finned route, CT short finned (PK) route or HMPK with no CT.. either route you will need another fish to breed into the F1 - a long finned CT, a CT HMPK, or HMPK. You might be able to breed back to dad (or mom) to help correct the fin size and web reduction.. so it will take a few generations - looking at 6-9 months+ of work to get it close to being standard and desirable.

If you are just giving them away to a pet store then it won't be so bad and you can take your time on the work needed to correct the fins.. but if you are wanting to sell them then understand you will need to know what direction you are wanting, fin and color wise, and go that route - as right now they all together are a hodgepodge of trouble and messy fins.
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 02:12 PM   #6 
Iseul

Now, where would the redwash come from if I bred the blue girl with the bottom male? From her copper iridescence?

Also, I thought a PK was just shorter fins on a tail type (such as DT, which I thought the bottom male was?)? Or is it a finnage type all on it's own?

I'd like to go all HMPK and eventually introduce dragons.
I figured it would take more than one gen to get what I'm looking for. This though would mainly be just a first attempt at breeding and experimenting with different techniques (breeding two pairs) to see what works best for me before investing $45 into one fish.
The culls (majority) would go to the petstore or out to friends wanting one for their desk or dorm.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-31-2013, 04:38 PM   #7 
Ilikebutterflies

PK is a separate form with separate finnage. Both males look plakat. The greenish ine is HMPK and the light bodied one is PK. The difference is in the tail ray count and caudal rounding mostly.

DT means double tail which none of your fish are.

Both your females are crowntails.

The light male carries red. His ventrals are red therefore he will pass on red. The white male looks platinum to me so breeding him to the blue girl will likely give you blue fish with red wash with a light silver coating that may or may not make them look metallic.

Your white female is the same color as your white male. Breeding them will give you white fish with red wash.
The green male and blue female will irid(turq and blues) fish with red wash.
Breeding either pair will give you these fins CTPK. Google CTPK Betta and you will see what you might get.
So basically, unless you WANT red in your fish stay away from fish that have any red.

Honestly, I'd probably brush up on my tail and fin and color types before breeding...but that's just me.
Ilikebutterflies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 05:08 PM   #8 
Iseul

I thought DT was a delta..Or is it DeT? Not sure, someone referred to a double as a DbT, so I figured DT was a delta.
I knew the metallic male was a HMPK, just not his specific colour.

So, the turq looking wash on the light male is going to be recessive to the red on the light female, yes?

I knew the females were CTs.

I'm not well versed on colours, but I do know my fin types. I did understand PK to be a modifier and not it's own fin type though, I've always seen fish be labeled as something+PK.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 08-31-2013, 05:37 PM   #9 
Ilikebutterflies

NP. I see DT in used interchangeably as double tail and delta tail. I think I'm just used to DT meaning double tail. The metallic boy is an irid with redwash. I'd venture a guess that he's genetically turquoise because on my monitor he is both green and blue in places.

Turquoise is in the top layer and red is in the third so I think you will see some turq. and definitely red especially in the fins.

PK is it's own fin type. Breeding your girls you would get CTPK. CT for the one fish and PK for the other. It just means it is a mixed tail type.

My PK boy-you can see he has only 2 rays in the caudal and the caudal edges are very rounded-he also doesn't get quite the full 180 spread:

One of my HMPK boys-you can see he has 8 rays and you can't see it but his caudal edges are sharper than the PK-more like an upper case "D" and his caudal opens a full 180:
Ilikebutterflies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 08:02 PM   #10 
Myates

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iseul View Post
Now, where would the redwash come from if I bred the blue girl with the bottom male? From her copper iridescence?
The bottom male's ventrals are red, which means he has red in his genes.. red is dominant like the blue, so it's very easy to have both colors.

Now, if the red is patterned with another color that is different.. but having a solid color fish with red ventrals, or where their fins are mostly one color but some red at the body line - that is the red wash most try to avoid. But again, it depends on your goal.. if you ever want to show fish you will need to get a non-red pair of whatever color you are wanting.
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote