Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-01-2013, 06:24 PM   #11 
Blue Fish

Oh, good point, I'd forgotten about that. Ugh...it's just gross, gross stuff.
Rickey is right though, it's in a lot of meds...but, if you look around, you can usually find an alternative that *doesn't* have it in there.

I avoid formaldehyde, copper, and the "fix" products. All of them are NOT good for fish, and are usually older products. The copper was thought to be a "miracle chemical" and people were putting big sheets into their aquariums...until they realized it was actually killing the fish over a period of time. (Rather like how cocaine was the fix-all for everything in people until they realized that it was actually massively addicting and had serious negative health consequences.) And formaldehyde has already been established as not for living tissue. As for the "fix" products, there's debate about those. Some people swear they're awesome, other people say it can hurt their labyrinth organ. I haven't used it, don't have experience with it, but I'd rather use something that I know is safe rather than something that has a sketchy track record.

The Jungle product is safe, not top-of-the-line like Prime, but definitely safe, and it'll dechlorinate your water and help their slime coat. And it's cheap. :)
Blue Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 08:27 AM   #12 
Hallyx
Reference Team

For a small unfiltered (uncycled) tank that requires frequent pwc's, there is another reason to recommend Prime: As the ammonia increases between changes, Prime helps to keep it detoxified.

Prime is a value for the dollar as it requires only 2-drops/gal.
Hallyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 01:10 PM   #13 
KawaiiRainbowMuffin

But would it be ok to add the easy balance just in case? Now I feel like it is a waste xD
KawaiiRainbowMuffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 01:54 PM   #14 
rickey
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by KawaiiRainbowMuffin View Post
But would it be ok to add the easy balance just in case? Now I feel like it is a waste xD
If it sounds to good to be true it probably is. I'm not going to put in any of my tanks but that's up to you. There is a lot of snake oil on the shelves in own pet shoppes. I this think this snake oil

Rick
rickey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 12:17 PM   #15 
KawaiiRainbowMuffin

Alright I plan on getting prime for my betta now I just don't know when I will be able too. My betta now seems to have new ammonia burn marks so I'm done using thw easy balance.
KawaiiRainbowMuffin is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
water chemistry