Elsewhere

Exclamation -Emergency-

Housing
What size is your tank? 5g
What temperature is your tank? 80
Does your tank have a filter? No
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No
Is your tank heated? Yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? None, possibly a pond snail or two.

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Omega One and frozen Bloodworms
How often do you feed your betta fish? Bloodworms once every two weeks, pellets three in the morning three in the evening, one fasting day

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? Once a week
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 40-50%
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? Dechlorinator

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 20
pH: 8
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? *See picture below*
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? He's staying at the top of his Wisteria, not swimming and won't eat.
When did you start noticing the symptoms? Earlier this week with a rip in his side, he started acting lethargic last night.
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? I gave him a salt bath last night (20 minutes, 3 tsp per gallon, 2.5g tank), treating the tank with 1/2 a tsp of Melafix.
Does your fish have any history of being ill? None
How old is your fish (approximately)? 8 months ish

His pictures are a few days ago, Sakura8 thought he had a wound that was narsty, and the Melafix seemed to be doing it's job until yesterday. After his salt bath didn't help, I watched him for a while. This morning he won't move even if I try and net him and he won't eat (not even a bloodworm). I fear that by the time someone reads this he'll be gone.
Elsewhere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 11:06 AM   #2 
Atena

If it is not damage from fighting or tearing on something, this might be an internal parasite. I would start him on epsom salt treatment right away in a hospital tank. (1 tsp/gallon, dissolved in conditioned water).

100% water change every day.

Lower or turn off the lights and keep the temperature stable at 80F.

You can order some antibiotics just in case to have them ready if he does not respond to the Epsom salt treatment within a day or two.

Try feeding him his favorite treat every now and then, when he starts eating it is a sign of improvement. I had friend have a huge hole in the side of her betta and he healed up just fine, so don't give up on him.
Atena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 11:07 AM   #3 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

That's a pretty bad wound. Is there any sign of infection?

If you have a breeder net/trap you can float him in that, or you can use his cup. This will keep him closer to the surface and help him get air more easily.
MattsBettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 11:09 AM   #4 
Atena

Also, salt will kill your snails and plants, so put him in an empty tank with a ceramic pot or something smooth he can hide in and not much else, this will make maintenance easier.
Old 08-30-2013, 11:12 AM   #5 
Atena

Also, I would take him off the melafix, it could be too toxic for him, get a gentler medication. I have never had good results with that stuff, it can cause more harm than good in bettas because of the labyrinth organ, though I hear it is great for other fish that are not air breathers.
Old 08-30-2013, 11:17 AM   #6 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

Epsom salts actually act as a fertilizer for plants... I think you are confusing it with sodium chloride.
MattsBettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 11:21 AM   #7 
Elsewhere

I think he tore it on an oak leaf stem (cut off now), and I don't have a QT, it's in use for my other parasitic girl... It looks infected, yes :/ I'll remove him to his cup, treat with Epsom salts, hopefully he'll pull through.

I can't get anymore meds. It sound awful, but my mother won't let me order online and I can't spend anymore money on fish right now.
Old 08-30-2013, 11:29 AM   #8 
Atena

okay, if it is a wound and not a parasite, don't use epsom salt, use aquarium salt instead and add Indian almond leaves or blackwater extract.

I did not know that about epsom salt, I thought all salt was bad for plants and snails, thank you for letting me know Matt. :)
Old 08-30-2013, 11:30 AM   #9 
Atena

If you don't have the blackwater or IAL don't worry, it is just an aid but the salt alone should help. Though it will hurt so don't expect him to be all happy about it.
Old 08-30-2013, 01:19 PM   #10 
Elsewhere

I'll switch it out for AQ Salt ASAP, and add in an Oak Leaf into the cup. I'll do another salt bath today (it's 3 tsp per gallon in a 2.5, and his cup has hardly any salt compared to that) and just wait and see what happens :/