Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Journals
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-28-2013, 07:18 PM   #1 
AnimalLov3

First Betta Adventure

I have had Earl for about a month now, and I decided to do a journal on him! Because I thought it would be fun..

I got Earl from a summer camp I attended. It was an Animal Behavior camp, so we were using four male bettas to watch their behavior against each other. The teacher needed to find homes for all of them so I got one! He is a red crowntail betta, and she got him from PetSupplies Plus.

Currently he is in a large, 1.5 gallon, what is technically a vase, but it's large and rounded. He has a Tropica Fern, the little plastic cup he came in(Until we get him a cave) and a plastic plant(which is not cutting his fins.). Soon he will hopefully be getting a 5 gallon, SQUARE tank.

Shortly after I got him his fins started curling at the tips, I read that it may just be genetic, since many pet stores don't have good breeders.

I've cleaned his tank once in the month since I got him, only out of the fear that if I did it wrong I'd kill him. Now I plan to do it once, or twice a week.

He has a funny personality. He will attack food from my finger to get it and eat it. When I put my finger to the glass he will come slowly, flaring up, and then he will run off. He likes to act bigger then he is, but I know he loves me. He just likes to act tough. ^-^ I like to sit next to him, and when I do this he will swim around, doing his own thing. But every now and again he will come and look at me, almost like checking to make sure I'm still there.
AnimalLov3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 11:52 AM   #2 
TiffanyP

The fin curling could also be from hard water - it's just an appearance issue and nothing to worry about really :) Glad to hear you got him home where he'll be taken care of. Post a picture next time, I'd love to see what he looks like :)
TiffanyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2013, 12:01 PM   #3 
AnimalLov3

I can add pictures since I figured out how with my phone! All of them are rather dark, and he's quite skittish with the camera.(Which makes his mommy sad because she is a complete photography nerd!) Sorry!

(Not sure how to do captions on any but the first pic..help? ^-^')

Him shortly after bringing him home:(I do think he's grown a bit since this day!)
Attached Images

Old 08-29-2013, 12:02 PM   #4 
AnimalLov3

And here is one more for now! More recent:(I think you can see the minor curling on this one.)
Attached Images

Old 08-29-2013, 12:21 PM   #5 
AnimalLov3

I took a light to Earl's tank to try and get his coloring better, so I thought I'd post the best picture:
Attached Images

Old 08-30-2013, 10:06 PM   #6 
BettaLover1313

Earl is very handsome!
BettaLover1313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 10:48 PM   #7 
Jdillio1988

I have my Betta, Hatori Hanzo, next to my bed, and when I sit on my laptop he comes over and stares at me also. Then when i look at him, he turns and swims away really fast!!! LOL! I tell my boyfriend that he plays games with me.....haha! Earl sounds awesome!
Jdillio1988 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 02:19 PM   #8 
AnimalLov3

So, just a little update on Earl since I haven't been on in awhile.

I moved him recently. So that he was further from the floor, 3 hyper dogs, and 3 hyper children, I worried for his safety! But I ended up breaking one of the jars I hold water conditioned in and I'm out of water conditioner so I gotta get that..

My birthday was Sept. 6th, I turned 15, and for my birthday I got a 500mm lens. It's WONDERFUL for taking pictures of Earl with! I can put it far enough away to where he doesn't run away but close enough so he comes to investigate!
Old 09-12-2013, 01:20 AM   #9 
dramaqueen
Banned

I'm looking forward to some pics taken with the new camera.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 11:02 AM   #10 
AnimalLov3

Quote:
Originally Posted by dramaqueen View Post
I'm looking forward to some pics taken with the new camera.
Currently I'm unable to get GOOD pictures off my camera, as my computer is broken.. But I can post a picture of a picture! Haha.