Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-30-2013, 01:56 PM   #1 
bettafishfins

Exclamation Stressed betta

I just got my betta fish yesterday. He spends all day flaring at the walls of his tank. It is a one gallon bowl and it is glass. He is really tiny, only about 2 inches from nose to tail. Is the excessive flaring stressing him? I'm really worried. I don't know if it's from just being new, or he's fighting himself. I plan on upgrading him to a 2+ gallon tank when he gets bigger. But if I do that sooner will it stop him from flaring to death?
bettafishfins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 03:38 PM   #2 
fawx

Well, you really should have ideally one gallon per inch of fish. So the minimum size he needs is 2 gallons. He probably might be stressed going to a new environment. But getting him a bigger tank with a heater would make him really happy! Another plus with bigger tanks is you can give them something to hide in. Giving them a place to hide is a must if they're stressed cause they can get away. Same way you'd want to go relax in your room if you're in a bad mood. :)
fawx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 04:45 PM   #3 
bettafishfins

Thanks! I plan on getting him the Aqueon Betta mini Bow or the Marina Goldfish 1.77 gallon starter kit and a heater when I have more money.
bettafishfins is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 04:59 PM   #4 
10asartin

The "1 gallon per inch of fish" rule is way outdated and really shouldn't be used. While in some instances the ratio happens to be accurate, most of the times it isn't. A betta can be kept successfully in a 1 gallon tank as long as it is maintained properly. This means it is kept at 80 degrees, receives 50% water changes twice per week at least, and provides enough cover to make the betta feel secure.
I do feel that bettas are much happier with more swimming space, so he would definitely enjoy a larger home, but it isn't a must.
I do however, emphasize the need for a heater when the temperature fluctuates a lot or is too cold and a high quality brand betta pellet like New Life Spectrum or Omega One.
10asartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 05:40 PM   #5 
fawx

It is? I'm glad to know that now though. I've based most decisions on that rule X.X
fawx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 06:52 PM   #6 
10asartin

Yes, most fish keepers do not follow it anymore, largely because the appropriate sized tank isn't only based on the size of the fish. It is also greatly determined by the fish's bioload and activity level.
As for your little guy's flaring, it could be that he is seeing his reflection on the walls of the glass bowl. Try to locate any possible lights that could be causing a glare off the glass. If you can reduce the glare you can keep him from seeing his reflection and flaring.
10asartin is offline   Reply With Quote