Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-30-2013, 03:48 PM   #1 
Deanna01

Fish room question: heating

Hi, all!

I live in Pennsylvania, where it gets pretty cold in the winter. My basement, which is where my fish room (laundry room) is located, gets particularly cold.

I'm trying to figure out: If I have the tanks adequately heated (using heaters for the spawning and growout tanks and heat tape for the jars), do I also need to keep the room warm? Heating my laundry room will be pretty expensive, especially as it has a laundry chute leading to the other floors.
Deanna01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 03:50 PM   #2 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

If the tanks stay at a stable temp in the correct range, there is no need for a room heater.
MattsBettas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 03:59 PM   #3 
Ilikebutterflies

You can get a one way door for your laundry chute-you probably already have one. You can weather strip it like a door or window. Temperature won't be your only issue though. Humidity will be noticeable if you end up with more than 2-3 tanks. I now have 17 tanks and I can tell a huge difference. This weekend will be spent cutting plexi-glass for covers for eveything. I may leave the 55g open top. Not sure yet. I will have to get a dehumidifier also. If your basement isn't insulated your heaters may have to work too hard to keep the tanks stable. I'm not sure how well they perform if the room temperature is well below the temp. you need your tank. Keep a close eye on them. You may have to wrap the tanks in blankets. I grew up in Wisconsin in a 100 year old farm house. In the winter it was cold enough to see your breath in the back corner of the basement. This one was boulders and mortar so no insulation. Brrrrrrrrrrr
Ilikebutterflies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 07:42 AM   #4 
Canis

Sorry for the off topicness, but what kind of heat tape do you use?
Canis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 08:32 AM   #5 
Deanna01

I don't actually have the heat tape yet, Canis. I am going to Home Depot this weekend to get it and set it up.
Deanna01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 08:48 AM   #6 
Canis

Oh XD I was thinking of getting some jars and doing rescuing, the petstores around here keep their bettas in terrible condition :( But heating was a problem, and I really don't know anything about heat tape or how it works.
Canis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 12:30 PM   #7 
Myates

I use flexwatt - make sure you get a thermostat for the heat tape, one meant for reptiles, not the dimmer kind, to help control the temperature.
Myates is offline   Reply With Quote