Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-30-2013, 04:28 PM   #1 
Watermelon

End of cycle questions

My tank is 5.5g and has finished fishless ammonia cycling after about 3 weeks (yay)! How much water do I change out before putting my betta in? I read conflicting info on different websites, i.e. 90%, 1/3 of the tank, etc. What is the proper amount?

Also, sorry if this is a dumb question I'm still new at this, but do I do water conditioner before I put the water in the tank or after I replace the water in the tank? And do I need to wait another day before putting my betta in, to check parameters or can he go in right away? Thanks!
Watermelon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 05:50 PM   #2 
spyder221

water conditioner before putting it in tank as chlorine will kill off the good bb also water change size depends on your nitrate levels but if there below 40 i would say 50% but someone with more experience will probly give u better answer basically just bring your nitrate levels as low as you can up to you to check and judge how much to change
spyder221 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 05:56 PM   #3 
Watermelon

Thanks for the response. My nitrates are around 5-10ppm, so I'm thinking maybe on the 50% or less side?
Old 08-30-2013, 06:07 PM   #4 
spyder221

5 to 10 is fine just start your weekly water change from there and adjust accordingly for 5 to 10 atm id say a 20% change before adding fish just be sure to check ammonia and nitrite are definatly zero good luck im still cycling my tank cant wait to get my betta seen a lovely crowntail but he will be gone before i get mine ready
anyways yea good luck and post some pics oh yea once water change is done he should be able to go straight in make sure you acclimatize him first though also make sure if your leaving the tank a few days or more before going to get him to carry on adding ammonia so the bb have something to feed on
Old 08-30-2013, 06:09 PM   #5 
Watermelon

Thanks so much Spyder, that is a huge help, I'm excited about it. And hang in there, the time will pass before you know it.
Old 08-30-2013, 06:18 PM   #6 
spyder221

i only been cycling for 2 weeks so far but getting there have both ammonia and nitrite reading theres some pics on the site somewhere of my tank cant remember where though just need to build a good hood for it as its a hex and cant buy one very strange size lol charity shop bargain but yea been using the time to study and read loads been reading and getting advice from lots of lovely ppl both on here and other forums so much to learn lol but the info is all there just gotta look and ask my heads gonna explode to much reading and getting on my mums nerves i think she hates the poor fishy already anywho i gotta stop rambling
let us know when u got your fishy friend and any questions or concerns dont hesitate to post them someone will help
Old 08-30-2013, 08:43 PM   #7 
Hallyx
Reference Team

Good advice from spyder. Don't be afraid of large water changes to keep your nitrate in check. You'll probably only get ~5.0ppm/week with one Betta in the tank.

Spyder, go get that crowntail you like. Put him in your display tank and change water often to keep ammonia <0.25ppm. While you do this, put your filter in another tank or bucket and cycle your filter in there.
---ammonia >2.0ppm
---Temp >82*
---filter on high
---keep it dark
When the filter is cycled, put it in your display tank. The tank will be automatically cycled. This is called a "bucket" cycle. In my opinion, it's the best way to go about cycling.

Last edited by Hallyx; 08-30-2013 at 08:46 PM.
Hallyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 03:44 AM   #8 
spyder221

thats the best advice ive had but still gotta wait till next friday payday hopefully will be done by then anyways and the wooden lid im using atm keeps getting a white fuzz on it so building a neli while i wait

Tags
fishless cycling, water change