Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-09-2009, 11:55 AM   #1 
miatameri

Help! Torn fins and lethargic?

I'm terribly new to betta fish, and my first one used to be pretty active.
He always liked to just float around, but when I put him in his new 5gallon tank, he loved it. He was always swimming, trying to beat the current, having fun.

Well, now his fins seems to be tearing (and they look a bit black? maybe it's coloring?)
And he just seems very lethargic at the bottom of the tank. I bought him a big accessory for his tank with lots of hiding, but he just does't want part of anything.

His water is about 75-80, and I did put chemicals in it to make it betta worthy.
miatameri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 11:59 AM   #2 
dramaqueen
Banned

What kind of chemicals did you put in there? Are you talking about water conditioner?
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 12:01 PM   #3 
miatameri

Quote:
Originally Posted by dramaqueen View Post
What kind of chemicals did you put in there? Are you talking about water conditioner?
yea! haha, could NOT think of the word, =[
Old 07-09-2009, 12:08 PM   #4 
dramaqueen
Banned

It sounds like he may have some finrot. Some people are trying salt baths for that. You could try that or some Betta Fix.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 12:14 PM   #5 
miatameri

does fin rot cause a fish to be lethargic?

Also, will betta fix cure it or do i HAVE to do salt baths?
they sound difficult
D:
Old 07-09-2009, 12:22 PM   #6 
neenjar

You can try bettafix and water changes. how often do you do it? It certainly sounds like fin rot.

I highly recommend the salt bath though, it is not as difficult as it seems. Let me give you the "easy" method to be sure you have the right amount of salt.

1) go to grocery store and buy a gallon of water, drink it all or water some plants.

2) fill the 1 gallon jug with tap water and dechlorinate it.

3) put 1 tsp aquarium salt into a shot glass, poor some of the treated gallon into it.

4) microwave the shot glass of water and salt for a minute, remove and stir, then add 30 seconds time as needed until the salt is dissolved

5) poor the shot glass contents back into the gallon and shake the gallon to mix it

6) poor from the gallon into whatever you treat the fish in.

7) follow the steps form my how to form the point of adding the fish to the water.

I have been keeping fish over 25 years now and have always found this to me the most effective treatment.

add betta fix to his freshly water changed tank water as a preventive\healing boost.

The best solution for fin rot I have found is to stay current on water changes and it usually does not show up at all ;)
neenjar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 12:25 PM   #7 
miatameri

Quote:
Originally Posted by neenjar View Post
You can try bettafix and water changes. how often do you do it? It certainly sounds like fin rot.

I highly recommend the salt bath though, it is not as difficult as it seems. Let me give you the "easy" method to be sure you have the right amount of salt.

1) go to grocery store and buy a gallon of water, drink it all or water some plants.

2) fill the 1 gallon jug with tap water and dechlorinate it.

3) put 1 tsp aquarium salt into a shot glass, poor some of the treated gallon into it.

4) microwave the shot glass of water and salt for a minute, remove and stir, then add 30 seconds time as needed until the salt is dissolved

5) poor the shot glass contents back into the gallon and shake the gallon to mix it

6) poor from the gallon into whatever you treat the fish in.

7) follow the steps form my how to form the point of adding the fish to the water.

I have been keeping fish over 25 years now and have always found this to me the most effective treatment.

add betta fix to his freshly water changed tank water as a preventive\healing boost.

The best solution for fin rot I have found is to stay current on water changes and it usually does not show up at all ;)
thank you!
yea he's in a 5gallon with a filter so i thought once a week?
Old 07-09-2009, 12:33 PM   #8 
neenjar

Quote:
Originally Posted by miatameri View Post
thank you!
yea he's in a 5gallon with a filter so i thought once a week?
Once a week after it is cycled. During the cycling period (typically the 1st 8 weeks) I would do 1 gallon every other day and 2 gallons once week (I choose a non work day for this) with gravel vacuuming on the 2 gallon day.

on the 1 gallon days, just scoop a gallon out and add a treated gallon back.
neenjar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 01:21 PM   #9 
Angelmonster

Make sur eyou also put a pinch or two of salt in his home tank also, or whatever tank you plan on leaving him in while he has torn fins. I always put salt in my tanks because it helps with electrolytes and if they get harmed in anyway it helps bettle infection/fin rot.

The only thing to note about giving salt baths, do it when you can sit and watch your betta. Some hate the excess salt so if they get too combative you need to take them out immediately! If you keep them in there too long it can also harm the fish so only do it for about five minutes
Angelmonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009, 04:20 PM   #10 
LiyahsGrandma

I totally agree with other Senior mems
LiyahsGrandma is offline   Reply With Quote