Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Meet the Betta Keepers
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-30-2013, 09:13 PM   #1 
Tony2632

New baby betta owner

S'up guys!

I'm new to bettas, but not other fish. I have a baby betta named BabyFace from Petco set up in a 37 gallon, fully planted tank with driftwood and huge rocks. I also have other tank mates like glowlight tetras and neon tetras. I can't figure out what sex the betta is so here is a picture of it and the tank.
Attached Images

Tony2632 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 09:17 PM   #2 
georga3261

The short fins make it look female, but I'm not entirely possitive...
georga3261 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2013, 10:03 PM   #3 
dramaqueen
Banned

Welcome to the forum. Your tank and betta are beautiful.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 01:01 AM   #4 
Chutney

I'm pretty sure you have a girl on your hands :). I had a baby betta that looked like yours with the stripes on the body. I have 3 friends who had the same thing happen with stripes being girls.
Chutney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 12:20 PM   #5 
JelloBetta

That is a beautiful baby betta, a little precious indeed.

I strongly believe that's a female. Though it could be a male.
JelloBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 08:13 AM   #6 
Tony2632

Thanks guys, She is super active and swims with the school of tetras sometimes. lol
Old 09-04-2013, 08:30 AM   #7 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Stress Stripes are actually camouflage for when they're in the wild, it's not indicative to sex.

It is a female because I can see the ovaries which is the only way you can sex babies since fins can be any length at this age.

Even though this is a big tank you'll need to do water changes at least twice a week because babies actually excrete a Growth Stunting hormone which will effect all fish, but mostly the baby and stunt the growth. So in order to stop the stunting you need to take it out with water changes so....it might be easier to put her in a smaller tank like a 5 or a 10 gallon until she's grow up but that's up to you and what's more convenient for you.

Babies also need to eat every 3-4 hours but 3 times a day will suffice and either crushed flakes or crush pellets/chopped up pellets in half if she's big enough. And then of course heat around 82 will be best for her and her growth
lilnaugrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 07:07 PM   #8 
bettaHI

Welcome to the forums! Looks like a girl to me. She is a beauty! Take care of her well.

@lilnaugrim is there a reason to why you are suggesting he should feed that baby betta every 3-4 hours a day?im not saying you are wrong..just curious.

Last edited by bettaHI; 09-04-2013 at 07:09 PM.
bettaHI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2013, 02:17 AM   #9 
Tony2632

@lilnaugrim So I look up stunting on baby bettas and for her to grow fast I need a small tank and heater with frequent water changes and water temperature around 84 degrees, but I wonder if a 3 gal tank wound work.
Old 09-05-2013, 08:25 AM   #10 
lilnaugrim
Reference Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by bettaHI View Post
Welcome to the forums! Looks like a girl to me. She is a beauty! Take care of her well.

@lilnaugrim is there a reason to why you are suggesting he should feed that baby betta every 3-4 hours a day?im not saying you are wrong..just curious.
Hey there! So babies eat a lot and they need to eat often just like all babies in the animal kingdom. Human babies tend to feed around that often as well but basically it's helped them grow. Without food they become week and can get sick very easily so keeping up on the food ensures they will grow quicker, faster and stronger. Once they hit their "teenage" stage though which they'll be little over an inch long for JUST body, not tail included; then you can feed just twice a day or continue the three times, whatever is more convenient. But basically just feed as much as you can, well small but frequent meals and they will grow.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tony2632 View Post
@lilnaugrim So I look up stunting on baby bettas and for her to grow fast I need a small tank and heater with frequent water changes and water temperature around 84 degrees, but I wonder if a 3 gal tank wound work.
Yes a 3 gallon would work! Honestly even a 1 gallon would be fine but that would require daily 100% water changes but it's all up to you! A 3 gallon with daily 50%'s would be amazing but every other day around 90-100% water changes will be awesome for your baby. So it's whatever you can keep up with.

And although the big tank is amazing for her, it would be easier on everyone if you did the smaller tank since you have to feed her so often (at least 3 times a day) And your water doesn't have to be 84 but anywhere from 80-84 is definitely good for them, they'll do just fine in 76-80 as well but they won't grow as fast. The higher temperature actually boosts their metabolism which means more food more often but they will grow much faster.

And everyone has to remember (not just to you but for all) that these are baby animals, they aren't the regular Betta's that we know and love but babies. So that means they're going to need more care than a regular Betta. It's the same as a human baby to an adult baby, one needs much more care than the other
lilnaugrim is offline   Reply With Quote