Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Compatibility
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-12-2009, 10:17 PM   #1 
rb500

Smile I can't decide what to do

I have a 10 gal and a 5 gal, both of which i want to get some betas to fill. I was thinking of having one of them for a sorority tank, and the other maybe just guys with a divider. Both of which will have tankmates, still figuring that one out too. What tanks do you think I should use for what? and what are some good tank cleaners to use with the bettas?
rb500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009, 10:25 PM   #2 
dramaqueen
Banned

I would use the 10 gallon if you decide on the sorority and put one male in the 5 gallon. The 5 would be too small for a sorority.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2009, 10:39 PM   #3 
rb500

Ok, then how many girls can I fit into the 10 gal? can I still put a divider into the 5? someone said that 1 male can go into a 2 gal, so a five cut in half would be 2.5 gal which sounds even better. How many tank mates can I put in with the each of the males if I do that? I really like glofish, how many can I put in with each? What do you suggest I put in with the females, also concidering how many I have in the 10 gal? Thanks for your input.
Old 07-13-2009, 09:01 AM   #4 
dramaqueen
Banned

You can put 4-6 females in the 1o gallon. I don't know if there would be any more room to put tankmates in there. Someone else will have to answer that. Yeah, you CAN split a 5 gallon and that would give each male 2.5 gallons but you wouldn't be able to put any tankmates with them because 2.5 is barely big enough for 1 betta. Bettas really don't need tankmates because they are solitary fish and very aggressive. Some do well with tankmates and some don't. It depends on their personality.
Old 07-13-2009, 11:53 AM   #5 
rb500

Ok, so no tank mates for the guys then, they'll be happier that way I know. and you said 4-6 girls, so if I do 4 then there should be room for tankmates right? at least a few, not many.
Old 07-13-2009, 12:24 PM   #6 
dramaqueen
Banned

I'm not sure how many total fish you can have in a 10 gallon. Someone else will have to answer that question.
Old 07-13-2009, 12:49 PM   #7 
RoseyD

there is a rule I keep reading that says e inch per gallon. think adult sizes not how they are when you buy them
RoseyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 01:40 PM   #8 
RoseyD

e = 1"

so if a betta is 3 " - then you could try 3 max per 10 g. - and only then if you know they'll all get along.

My 12 gal tank will most likely only have one betta in it. Because I'm thinking to get a little school of tetras.

The other 3 - I'm hoping will go into a 20 gal. High planted tank - once I get my order of plants in, and can start the process of setting it up.

And, my anti-social Topaz - well, I ordered her a 5 gal tank this morning. I may leave her alone. Or I may add some shrimp with her... I'm still in the deciding mode on that one... Those little Malaysian Green shrimp are really CUTE...
RoseyD is offline   Reply With Quote