Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-31-2013, 08:13 PM   #1 
Fenghuang

Identify this disease? *POTENTIALLY GRAPHIC*

Hey guys,

My girlfriend was away for a few days. I got here yesterday and noticed that three of our four sorority females have varying stages of some sort of growth on their head/mouth areas. We immediately jarred them and started treating them, as well as the rest of the tank just in case. They were all completely fine behavior-wise and still the same this morning (they acted like their normal glutton selves and even begged for food). Then, we came back this from grocery shopping this afternoon and found the female who appeared the worst off dead.

Of the two remaining sick ones, one girl just has what seems like the beginning of a receding mouth and the other has a whitish growth that is swelling out of her mouth in front of her eye. We think it is columnaris, but we're not sure. The rest of the fish from the tank look healthy.

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Housing
What size is your tank? 10 gallon
What temperature is your tank? 80 degrees Fahrenheit
Does your tank have a filter? Yes
Does your tank have an air stone or other type of aeration? No
Is your tank heated? Yes
What tank mates does your betta fish live with? Three female bettas, two cories, two flathead minnows, one male guppy, and an infestation of pond snails (temporary stocking situation, will be fixed when we upgrade soon)

Food
What type of food do you feed your betta fish? Omega One
How often do you feed your betta fish? 2x a day

Maintenance
How often do you perform a water change? Weekly (heavily planted)
What percentage of the water do you change when you perform a water change? 25-50 percent
What type of additives do you add to the water when you perform a water change? API Stress Coat/Stress Eyzme

Water Parameters:
Have you tested your water? If so, what are the following parameters?

Ammonia: 0 ppm
Nitrite: 0 ppm
Nitrate: 0 ppm
pH: 7.5
Hardness:
Alkalinity:

Symptoms and Treatment
How has your betta fish's appearance changed? A cottony white tumour-like growth appeared in between her beard. Part of beard seemed to be hanging off and her mouth appeared torn.
How has your betta fish's behavior changed? No change in behavior; she even ate normally this morning
When did you start noticing the symptoms? Yesterday afternoon
Have you started treating your fish? If so, how? Moved to a QT jar; treated with a combination of Aquarium Salt, IAL, Maracyn
Does your fish have any history of being ill? Ich at one point
How old is your fish (approximately)? 6 months

Last edited by Fenghuang; 08-31-2013 at 08:15 PM.
Fenghuang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 09:46 PM   #2 
sainthogan

You may need to private message one of the moderators for help on this one.
sainthogan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 09:55 PM   #3 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

Can you get pictures of the live girls with it? Do you or your girlfriend know when symptoms first showed (chronic or acute)? How much aq salt are you at currently?

Here is the columnaris treatment regimen from darkmoon-

•Treatment: There are 2 versions of Columnaris: chronic and acute. Chronic Columnaris can take days to progress while acute can kill within a day. It is contagious so isolate sick fish. If more than one fish shows symptoms then treat the entire tank. Perform daily 100% water change in small tanks or water change in larger tanks. Make sure to clean the gravel. Treat with Aq.Salt: add 1 tsp/gal Aquarium Salt 3 times, 12 hours apart so that you end up with 3 times the normal concentration. Do NOT raise the temperature as it thrives in temps over 85*F, however, lowering the temperature does not seem to help fight it. Combine salt treatment with Mardel’s Coppersafe, Maracyn I & II, API Erythromycin, OR API Triple Sulfa, combined with Jungle’s Fungus Eliminator (if possible).

Good luck.
MattsBettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 11:19 PM   #4 
Fenghuang

I would say it developed quickly. The girls were all fine a couple of days ago. Not really sure it actually is columnaris though.

The dosage of AQ salt is 2 tsp per gallon.

Here's the two other girls. Sorry the pics are not very clear; they do not stay still.

If you carefully, you can see there is something wrong with her mouth.

More serious. The white growth is bulging out of her mouth.

Last edited by Fenghuang; 08-31-2013 at 11:22 PM.
Old 08-31-2013, 11:37 PM   #5 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

My best guess is that it's columnaris... I just dealt with a girl who's mouth rotted away but she ended up passing. I would treat it like columnaris... And if they are still alive tomorrow we will know forsure it's chronic and not acute.
MattsBettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 11:58 PM   #6 
Fenghuang

Yep. Best to just wait it out, I guess. Thanks, Matt. I would be pretty bummed if the DS female keels. I mean, the others dying would be sad too, but the DS is an import and a gift.
Old 09-01-2013, 12:01 AM   #7 
Sakura8

Hi Fenghuang. Judging from the symptoms, it sounds like a possible case of acute columnaris where the fish rapidly develops the most notable symptoms such as the "mouth rot" and fungus-like growths. If you want to try and treat it, I suggest API Furan-2.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 12:22 PM   #8 
Fenghuang

The two living sick girls are both still alive. The dark blue one with the white growth seems to be a little better off than the Majcha Farm import, actually. The import seems to be faded and lethargic and her mouth continues to recede.

Now that I think of it, I think columnaris is definitely the culprit. The female that died also had discolouration on her body when we found her and her fins were deteriorated. This happened very quickly. She was swimming around and begging for food when we left. Came back two hours later and she was on her side at the bottom of the QT jar completely stiff.

Sakura, is Furan-2 better than Maracyn? We are using the latter to treat right now. We are not sure if we can get Furan-2 because the two closest LFS's are not open on Sundays and the nearest Petsmart is over 120 miles away (two hours driving one way).
Old 09-01-2013, 05:21 PM   #9 
Sakura8

Unfortunately, Furan-2 would be the better choice. If you can find Jungle Labs Parasite Clear tabs, you can also use those as they have nitrafurazone, the main antibiotic of Furan-2. However, continue treating with the Maracyn because right now, treating with that is better than treating with nothing.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 08:45 PM   #10 
Fenghuang

We were able to pick up Jungle Labs Fungus Clear tabs from Walmart. Not sure if they are the same thing as Parasite Clear tabs, but nitrafurazone is one of the active ingredients so we thought it was worth a shot.

Thank you, Sakura, Matt, and sainthogan, for your advice and input.