Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-19-2009, 06:01 PM   #1 
bettababe321

Hard water?

When Cosmo died I did a water test and my water hardness came up really hard. What can I do to fix this? Is distilled water softer? I usually use stress coat added to just normal tap water. I'm thinking I'm going to go ahead and give Captain the 5 gallon and just reserve the 1 gallon for treatment if he gets sick.
bettababe321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 11:43 AM   #2 
neenjar

Distilled water is missing all of the the essential minerals and is not good for fish.

If your water is too hard you can add some peat moss in a filter bag to the filter or just hanging in the tank, but best in the filter. It is a natural way to soften water, much better than liquid chemicals that give you a short term solution, but are gone in a couple days.

If you age your water before doing water changes add some peat moss in a filter bag to the container you age the water in as well, that way it is already softened some before being added to the tank.

Replace the peat moss once a month.
neenjar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2009, 09:04 PM   #3 
bettababe321

Thanks for the advice! A guy at petsmart said to add a little more aquarium salt to the water to make it softer. I already add a pinch to each water change, how much is too much?
bettababe321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 05:05 PM   #4 
Zan

i use hard water. soft water that si treated with salt is not good as i asked this question when i got my soft water filter installed i have to go down the end of the garden to the only hard water tap in my place to get water now :P
Zan is offline   Reply With Quote