Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Meet the Betta Keepers
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 08-31-2013, 10:49 PM   #1 
JDOG808

Unhappy New Betta owner needs help

Greetings Betta Community,

I'm a new Betta owner due to someone at my girlfriend's work getting it for her. Well she no longer works for the company and brought him home. His name is Lava, I forgot what kind he is at the moment, but am in dire need of help. I've researched and researched about what's going on with him. Ive narrowed it down to constipation/bloating or dropsy(think that is what its called). His scales are not sticking out like a pinecone or anything. He's just been having problems swimming and been very inactive. I know from all my research I was overfeeding and not properly soaking his flakes, pellets and frees dried worms when I first started feeding him at home. My girlfriend only fed him pellets at work. I've expanded his diet to flakes(first 3 ingredients are protein), pellets and freeze dried blood worms. I also read about his body being in an "S" shape when he's resting and yes it is "s" shaped. I've fasted him for 2 days and just gave him a tiny amount of a blanched frozen pea hoping to relieve him. I have an appointment on Tuesday with a vet who know tropical fish, just hope it's not too late. Also just wanna say, I know the temperatures and clean water conditions for Berta's. I have not been neglecting him, just over feeding him I think. He is no longer in his 10 gallon, I have him in a 1.5 gallon with no gravel so I can check for his poop. Am I missing anything that could help, maybe an Epsom salt bath???? Also as a last bit of info, while he's resting, he has been lying sort of on his side. Please help ASAP if you can
JDOG808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 11:30 PM   #2 
TheTrojanBetta

I'm no expert and you will probably want other opinions but it sounds like it could be swim bladder disease, which I believe can be caused by overfeeding. If I'm not mistaken, freeze dried bloodworms and flakes are also more likely to cause boating than pellets. I feed flakes to one of my own bettas but you may have just given him too much. How often do you feed bloodworms? They should only be given a few once or twice a week as a treat. I believe epsom salt is used as a treatment for swim bladder disease, past that I'm not quite sure. Someone please correct me if I'm wrong on this. There are a lot of people with more experience who can offer more specific advice. Best of luck to you and Lava, I hope he feels better soon!
TheTrojanBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2013, 11:40 PM   #3 
JDOG808

New Betta owner needs help

I already k ow I was over feeding and improperly feeding him. Didn't know to soak his food prior to feeding him. He's been eating flakes because they were the only food that had 3 different proteins instead of fillers. I now know to pre soak his food in tank water prior to feeding. Just wanna know if feeding him part of a blanched pea will hopefully help or fix the problem. He was such a different and happy fish before. I feel so bad it could be my fault from overfeeding. I also give home pellets and freez dried blood work, that now I pre soak
Old 08-31-2013, 11:50 PM   #4 
TheTrojanBetta

I don't think you're actually supposed to soak the food, I think it will take the nutrients out. Don't worry about it being your fault, you didn't know any better and you're doing your best by the little guy now.
TheTrojanBetta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 12:06 AM   #5 
JDOG808

Poor guy is I'll. I've read about all the problems and have narrowed it down to constipation/bloating or the early stages of drospy( I think that's what is called). If its the latter of the problems, he's got about 7 days and it over. If he's constipated, from over feeding(guilty as charged), what a rookie move, I've fasted him for almost 2 days and just fed him a bit of a cooked pea to hopefully clear him out. He's very inactive now and when he rests, is laying a bit on his side. I feel sooooo bad for him.
Old 09-01-2013, 11:23 AM   #6 
dramaqueen
Banned

You don't have to soak the pellets. I never did with mine and they were ok. I'll get in contact with one of our members who is knowledgeable about diseases to help you and Lava out. Welcome to the forum.

Last edited by dramaqueen; 09-01-2013 at 06:15 PM.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 05:08 PM   #7 
Sakura8

Hi JD0 and welcome to the forum. DQ asked me to take a look at this thread. I'm sorry Lava is sick.

Is he bloated? You said his scales weren't sticking out so he's not pineconing but is he definitely bloating?

Have you seen any poo and if you have, uhm, what did it look like? White stringy poo can be a sign of internal parasites or an internal bacterial infection.

If you haven't already, you can try an epsom salt bath. You can do 1 tsp per gallon in his QT tank as a constant soak but this could potentially dehydrate him (I know, weird to think of a fish being dehydrated in water). You can also do an epsom salt bath at 3 tsps per gallon, immersing him in that for a half hour once a day.

If he is not pooing, continue to fast him but if you see poo, go ahead and try to get him to eat because if he has any kind of parasite problem, he'll need to be able to pass waste in order to get rid of the worms.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 06:16 PM   #8 
dramaqueen
Banned

Thanks, Meg.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 07:43 PM   #9 
JDOG808

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakura8 View Post
Hi JD0 and welcome to the forum. DQ asked me to take a look at this thread. I'm sorry Lava is sick.

Is he bloated? You said his scales weren't sticking out so he's not pineconing but is he definitely bloating?

Have you seen any poo and if you have, uhm, what did it look like? White stringy poo can be a sign of internal parasites or an internal bacterial infection.

If you haven't already, you can try an epsom salt bath. You can do 1 tsp per gallon in his QT tank as a constant soak but this could potentially dehydrate him (I know, weird to think of a fish being dehydrated in water). You can also do an epsom salt bath at 3 tsps per gallon, immersing him in that for a half hour once a day.

If he is not pooing, continue to fast him but if you see poo, go ahead and try to get him to eat because if he has any kind of parasite problem, he'll need to be able to pass waste in order to get rid of the worms.
Well today I just found a really large brown poo on the bottom of the tank. I think he was defiantly constipated. I do also see some white stringy stuff floating too. Maybe he does have internal parasites. Isn't there medicated food I can get for this???
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-01-2013, 08:16 PM   #10 
Sakura8

You can but typically, the betta won't eat it. Apparently, the medicated food tastes really, really nasty. The med you probably want to try is API General Cure with metronidazole. Most effective for internal parasites and will also help with some mild anaerobic internal bacterial infections as well.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote