Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-02-2013, 05:18 PM   #11 
JDOG808

Posted via Mobile Device
JDOG808 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 05:25 PM   #12 
JDOG808

[quote=Sakura8;2929801]You can but typically, the betta won't eat it. Apparently, the medicated food tastes really, really nasty. The med you probably want to try is API General Cure with metronidazole. Most effective for internal parasites and will also help with some mild anaerobic internal bacterial infections as well.[/QUOTE

Went to Petco here, they don't have API General Cure. Lava is doing much better, but still not back to normal. He may have some kind of gill infection or something. Noticed he takes big open mouth breaths sometimes. Been giving him aquarium salt baths, don't have any Epsom salt. Would it
make a difference??? I've also read about gill flukes or something like that???? Could use some more info, hope this helps. Thank you for everything so far, he is better.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-02-2013, 08:13 PM   #13 
JDOG808

[quote=JDOG808;2936081]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sakura8 View Post
You can but typically, the betta won't eat it. Apparently, the medicated food tastes really, really nasty. The med you probably want to try is API General Cure with metronidazole. Most effective for internal parasites and will also help with some mild anaerobic internal bacterial infections as well.[/QUOTE

Went to Petco here, they don't have API General Cure. Lava is doing much better, but still not back to normal. He may have some kind of gill infection or something. Noticed he takes big open mouth breaths sometimes. Been giving him aquarium salt baths, don't have any Epsom salt. Would it
make a difference??? I've also read about gill flukes or something like that???? Could use some more info, hope this helps. Thank you for everything so far, he is better.
Posted via Mobile Device
Just got home and noticed a big like white rock looking thing at the bottom of the tank. As soon as I noticed it, Lava did too and he bit at it and broke it up. He seems to doing better, just fed him and he hit the food like he was trying to kill it, like he's really hungry. Any idea what the white rock might have been??? It was about the size of a 1/2 to 1ct stone and kinda the same shape.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 09-03-2013, 05:38 PM   #14 
Sakura8

O.O Is it possible it was some . . . poo? Sometimes when poo sits in the water it kinda loses color and turns whiteish.

Gill flukes (Dactylogyrus sp.) only target the gills while skin flukes (Gyrodactylus sp.) can target all over the body. The biggest symptom of gill flukes is heavy, heavy breathing with the mouth gaping and the gills moving a lot. There may be a coating of excess slime coat on the gills.

The symptoms of skin flukes typically include the skin looking kind of gray because of an excess coating of slime and the fish darting or scraping against things to try and dislodge the parasites.
Sakura8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 08:51 PM   #15 
JDOG808

Talk to our vet yesterday who is very educated on fish in general. Told him our Betta was sick and first thing he suggested was the salt bath. Although, his instructions are quite different from what I've read. 1st day do 1tsp salt in gallon tank, 2nd day water change and 2tsp salt. Third day water change and 3tsp salt. He did not say let him soak for 30 min, he said leave the Betta in the salt water the whole time. Anyone ever heard of this???? I'm on second day with 2tsp in gallon tank. Any info will help, thank you.
Old 09-04-2013, 09:54 PM   #16 
Tikibirds

Aquarium salt will help with external parasites but NOT internal ones. To help flush those out you would need plain, unscented EPSOM salt and probably anti parasite meds. You can mae your own anti parasite food using betta pellets. Soak the pellets in the medicine for 15 minutes. I have found that Jungle anti parasite fizz tabs tends to work better then API general cure but I havent seen them for sale in a while. I used to be able to get it from walmart.

Last edited by Tikibirds; 09-04-2013 at 09:56 PM.
Tikibirds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 09:57 PM   #17 
JDOG808

So, your saying Epsom salt will kill both external and internal parasites??? Why didn't our vet tell us that??? He said use aquarium salt cause its made for fish. Is there a different chemical make up of Epsom compared to aquarium salt??
Old 09-04-2013, 10:48 PM   #18 
Sakura8

Aquarium salt is non-iodized sodium chloride. Table salt. Epsom salt is not a true salt but magnesium sulfate and is used as a muscle soak and a laxative. In betta use, it's used to relieve constipation, to draw out excess fluids in the case of dropsy, and to encourage fish to poo out internal parasites.

EDIT: Don't worry about the General Cure for now. It's not as important. You can get epsom salts at any drug store, usually in the laxative section or as a muscle soak. Just make sure you get non-scented, non-dyed epsoms.

What we really need to figure out is if the problem is internal or external so we can figure out which salt to use. If he has heavy breathing and lots of gill movement and the fins are clamped, there's a good possibility the problem is external parasites so we would use AQ salt. If he is bloated and is either not pooing or has white stringy poo, the problem is probably internal parasites and epsom salt would be called for.

Last edited by Sakura8; 09-04-2013 at 10:53 PM.
Old 09-04-2013, 11:25 PM   #19 
JDOG808

Sick Betta

Well I gave him a second pea treatment and he had another really large brown poo. Just fed him 3 pellets and he attacked them like he's starving. He is still laying sideways and his scales look a little like the r sticking out, but not close to the pineconing pics I've seen. Could the saltwater make this happen??? His color is still healthy red and he's hungry, I know that is a good sign. He is having breathing problems still. So if he's been soaking in 2tsp of salt in 1 gallon tank, shouldn't I be seeing results by now??? My bet wants me to increase the salt to 3tsp per gallon tomorrow. Said it will kill almost all parasites by then. Is lava gonna be able to handle it???? Oops should have said my vet not bet
Old 09-04-2013, 11:38 PM   #20 
Sakura8

A high infestation of external parasites can cause the scales to stick out slightly but not quite pinecone. The parasites burrow under the scales and skin and are often resistant to treatment this way. If you do increase the dosage to 3 tsps, I would also recommend you try to increase the heat to 86 F. At that high heat, many parasites cannot live or complete their life cycle.

Since he is eating and pooing regularly or more or less regularly, I think what we are dealing with is external in nature and 3 tsps of AQ salt per gallon is recommended, especially with the high heat.