Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-13-2009, 04:23 PM   #1 
vanillakahlua

my fish just lays there...

Okay, so I bought me and my brother both bettas last winter. they were both the smallest crowntail males we could find. His is purple with red and mines blue with purple. When I brought them home my fish he was crazy, always swimming all over and lookin around and it took him awhile to finally eat. My brothers fish was the shy one who hid all day. Now they are opposite, my bros is swimming all over lookin around and mine is at the bottom of the bowl.

Recently (about 2 months ago) I noticed he started laying sideways on his rocks a lot. not completly on his side, his head was up. But yea.. So I took him back to petco and asked them what was wrong. They said he might be constipated and that I should switch his food a lot and try feeding him less. So I started giving them both a little bit of blood worms. It didn't really change anything, I started giving him 2 pellets one time a day.. and no change. His tum-tum doesn't look bloated or anything.

His rocks in his tank were these big flat rocks. I was wondering if since he was laying on them so much if they were hurting him 'cause they have sharp edges. So today I threw them out and put him in a completely brand new 1/2 gallon bowl and gave him smoother round rocks, and 2 colorful red (not live) plants for more hiding spaces. He was still layin' on his side even after the change. He hasn't died, and he still eats and goes up for air..

Does anyone else have a betta that likes to chill on it's side at the bottom of the bowl? My bros betta doesnt do that.

Every once in awhile he's active but not as often as before.

Let's see if there's anything else I can let you know...

It's in tap water that I let sit 24 hrs till room temp. I use that chlorine remover stuff, and I use the correct amoung of drops. My room is about 70+ degrees. They have been fine in this temp for the past like 7 mos we've had them. There is no filter or thermostate in their tank.. I made sure to wash all their new rocks and plants and bowls thoroughly before putting them inside. And I clean there bowls like every 3-4 days to keep it fresh. I feed them 2-3 pellets 1 time in the morning and 1 time before bed. They have a lamp right over them for the evening and in the day time I have my curtains open so they can have sunlight. I dunno why he lays on his side like that but any helpful tips would be great. :]
vanillakahlua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 05:13 PM   #2 
neenjar

They may be getting too much light. Something has him stressed out. Try closing the curtains during the day and using the light when you are home to watch them and give them light. They will be fine with 8-10 hours light a day. They need a dark cycle.
neenjar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 07:55 PM   #3 
dr2b

I agree with what neejar said, but I am also wondering if the water is too cool for your betta. They need a water that is a constant 76-80 degrees F. If it is simply "70+" it might be on the cooler side of 70. I'd also give him like a bridge or small cave to hide in if he wants to rest.
dr2b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2009, 08:00 PM   #4 
dramaqueen
Banned

They need temps of 76 to 82.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 10:14 AM   #5 
Angelmonster

First and foremost I would say temperature. Remember it takes long for water to change temperature then air or land. If the bowel is too cold it will stay cold. I suggest buying a mini-heater to warm it up! Also purchase a thermometer

You also need a bigger home. I csuggest upgrading to a 3 gallon vase or tank, this will give your guy plenty of room to move around in!
Angelmonster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2009, 04:13 PM   #6 
vanillakahlua

okay thanks guys! about the tank size, I just bought them both 1/2 gallon fish bowls they are like the size of a bowling ball. My bro's fish seems to like it fine, he swims all over and likes to lay on his flowers (he has 2 purple ones that are flat petals so he can hide under them or lay on top). and his rocks are pretty, they are darkish see through orange and clear. He seems happy, and I don't think he's bothered by the temp either because he always acts normal. When I move around he perks up and swims straight to the glass to look out at me and when I feed him he gets all excited and gets the food real quick.

My fish is the only one acting abnormal, I just got him the 1/2 gallon fish bowl yesterday because I was worried. I put him in the 1 gallon fish bowl and that's when he was acting all weird so I thought if I just did a new tank that I could afford then maybe I'd see a change 'cause it's brand new and clean. He has 2 red silky plants that are like long petals pointing up and he likes to hide in them by laying on them or hide under them. His rocks are purple and clear. He seems to be swimming a bit more since I switched him to this smaller bowl. He was in a 1 gallon tank and he'd just lay there on his side. I came home from school and he perked up when I came in. He still lays down but not as much. I still think I'll get a thermometer like you guys suggested to make sure it's not too cold. But I think I've noticed a difference since he's been in his new bowl for 24 hrs. He's actually laying straight up right now which makes me happy. I think the change in the type of rocks I was using really helped, the other ones looked cool but got kinda sharp after I changed the bowl a few times cause they'd break. They were big flat purple see through rocks. kinda like peanut brittle but smoother heh. (best description I could think of.

Also I will turn off my light more. I leave the lamp on from 9am when I go to school until I go to bed after work around 1am (it's not a fish lamp, just a normal small lamp that I have in my room by the fish). I didn't know they could get too much light so that's good to know. Thanks guys. :]

Last edited by vanillakahlua; 07-14-2009 at 04:16 PM. Reason: I left out some details
vanillakahlua is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 10:43 PM   #7 
truebluesue

fish is laying down

I saw your reply and was interested because my fish is doing the same thing. I have changed the water and he is still laying down and sometimes sits with his head up. His water is also a strange color. I have 4 bettas and all the others are fine but this one is eating okay but just lays around doing nothing. What should I do?
truebluesue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 10:48 PM   #8 
dramaqueen
Banned

What is his water temperature? Did you put anything in the water that might cause it to change colors? Welcome to FishForum, by the way. :)
Old 07-18-2009, 02:13 PM   #9 
truebluesue

fish just lays around.

Hi thank you for replying to my question. I think his water temperature is 78 to 80 degrees. We keep our house at that temp. The water looks about the color of urine . I change his water once a week, and all my other fish are doing well. I have them in quart size fish bowls and as soon as I change their bowls , the one that is sick is discolored within a day or two. The healthy ones bowls are all crystal clear. I have some melafix but I am afraid to use it because I don't know the proper amount or what it will do to him. Thank you for your help and for welcoming me to your site.
truebluesue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2009, 05:11 PM   #10 
dramaqueen
Banned

Since we don't really know what is wrong with your betta, I wouldn't use any medication unless he has finrot, sores or any other symptoms. I would change water conditioners and see if that makes any difference. If the bowl he's in is 2 gallons or less, the water should be changed twice a week.