Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Diseases and Emergencies
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-18-2009, 07:40 PM   #11 
truebluesue

my fish just lays there

Thanks for your help. I will change his bowl but I don't have anything except for start right. I can get something differant tomorrow. I really don't think that is the problem, my three other Betta's are fine and look great. The one that is sick eats well he had 4 or 5 of the little betta food I have and he does go to the top of the bowl for air but the rest of the time he is either laying down or kinda curled to where his head is pointed to the top of the bowl.
truebluesue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2009, 07:51 PM   #12 
dramaqueen
Banned

I have no idea what could be wrong with him.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2009, 11:07 PM   #13 
BakaMandy

): The fish I'm taking care of for a friend was kinda like that. He'd just lay at the bottom of his tank and only moved to get air.

Because he also had fin rot (and suspected internal parasites), I was using Maracyn-Two, but I also did salt baths every day and now he's really energetic compared to what he was like before, although he still rests a lot which I can understand because he's missing half of his tail so swimming must be tough for him... although usually when he goes to rest he sits in the corner and flares at his reflection in the tank now xD;

I don't know, this is just my personal experience with this kind of behavior. ): So in my opinion if he used to be active and now isn't, I'd imagine there's something wrong. If it's internal it'll be a lot harder to figure out :S But don't jump to any conclusions just yet. Maybe do a little research on fish illnesses and keep observing him for a little longer?
BakaMandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 04:16 PM   #14 
truebluesue

my fish just lays there

Well I am sorry to say that I got up this morning and my Betta Velvet was dead. I am heart broken over him I had him for two and a half years. Now my son felt sorry for me and went and bought me a new Betta and I am afraid to put him in the same bowl as the one that just died. What should I do? Throw out the glass beads and the bowl away ?? I know not to use soap in the bowl but I sure don't want this new one to get what the other one had. The glass beads are the colored ones that you can use in a vase for flowers and I have another Betta with the same kind of glass beads and two others with Aquarium rocks in their bowls. So I would appreciate any ideas. Thanks, Sue
Old 07-23-2009, 04:36 PM   #15 
neenjar

Boil the glass beads and wash the bowl with hot water and salt. Rinse it all well and it should be fine. sorry velvet died :(
neenjar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 04:58 PM   #16 
truebluesue

Neenjar, Thanks for your quick reply I was about to go out and buy a new bowl. How long do you think I should boil the beads for? Can I use regular salt or do I need to buy aquarium salt? Thanks for your help.
Old 07-23-2009, 05:23 PM   #17 
neenjar

I would use aquarium salt, the iodine in regular salt is not good for fish. If you have any sea salt or kosher salt, that will do, just not iodized salt.

I would boil the beads about 10 minutes or so.
Old 07-23-2009, 05:27 PM   #18 
dramaqueen
Banned

I'm so sorry about Velvet. RIP Velvet.
Old 07-23-2009, 05:31 PM   #19 
neenjar

It's probably just me but I could not name a betta velvet, or fin rot, or ich, or.. lol

I had to re read your post a few times to determine if it died from velvet or was named Velvet... ;) RIP...
Old 07-23-2009, 05:40 PM   #20 
dramaqueen
Banned

I knew someone who had a betta named Velvet. She ended up killing it by cleaning his bowl with soap!