Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-01-2013, 02:24 PM   #1 
Flynn

Exclamation Discoloration of gills? [pictures]

Got my betta about a month ago; ammonia, nitrite and nitrates have always been fine. When I first got him, when he flared, only one gill goes fully out while the other seems struggling to open but barely does. I assumed he was just born like this.
Very happy fish i presume-he eats like crazy, swims around, and at this moment is blowing a bubble nest. He also seems to flare at the tank walls a lot and looks like he puts a lot of stress on his gills. Anyways i woke up this morning and noticed this white discoloration on his gills, does anybody know what it is and how/if i should treat it?

this side has a little red dot and seems worse
Flynn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 02:47 PM   #2 
Jarick

Hmm.. It looks like it might just be his coloration. My boy has some red on his gill covers, too, though it only shows up when he gets all excited, and beside himself. If you could try to get a pic of him flaring, that might help to better diagnose the beard issue. :)

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 12:17 AM   #3 
Flynn

yes but his gills were never that color until this morning, it just happened overnight
Flynn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 12:29 AM   #4 
Jarick

Red didn't show the spots on him for two months. They gain more color as they age. Try to get one of him flaring. I think if it were any true illness of his gills he'd be acting ill. Lethargic, less of an appetite, labored breathing, staying at the water line so as to breathe easier.

And, it could just be color from flaring a tad too much. Like stress lines. Try to get a pic of him flaring. Might give a different angle on the situation, but I really do think it's just him coloring up.

Sent from Petguide.com Free App
Jarick is offline   Reply With Quote