Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Spawn Logs
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-01-2013, 01:31 PM   #1 
Jennifer Vazquez

Teal and red CT male x Gold CT Female

Ok, My Male is a Petsmart Betta, and My female is a Chard56 CT.

My male is super picky. I tried for weeks to get him to build a bubble nest, He finaly liked the Dark blue coffee mug, with 1/4 of a inch of air above the top of the water.

My female was all gold when I got her, but now she has some black on her body, which I will probably breed out. Her caudal fin when I first got her looked more like a combtail, but the points finaly got a little longer, and they are all evenly spaced which makes me happy.

This is my first successful spawn. This is my practice round so I won't be culling Unless their are some seriouse deformities. I really want to let their colors and finnage fully grow so that I have something to go on with my next spawn. So on to the fun part.....

The fry were completely free swimming by august 31 2013.
I did a approximate count on the 30th and saw about 30 free swimmers, with many more still hanging in the nest. The male stayed in until the 30th, he doubled the size of the nest by the 30th, and by that night I took him out and let the fry do their own thing.

As soon as the first fry started free swimming I added infusoria, MW, and boiled egg yolk.

Today is September 1st and I wanted to get all of the settled yolk out of the tank so I did a water change, and transferred the fry to a plastic bin. I felt that the 10 gallon tank had to much surface and I wanted to make sure they were getting enough to eat. I added a moss ball and a little more than half of the water they were in back into the plastic bin, also I have free floating plants for them to hide in.

I counted 91 fry.

Here are some pics of the male and female(it took me a hour just to get these photos, so sorry they are not better.) and I also added some pics of the fry. I am going to keep updating this log.

Name:  malect.jpg
Views: 671
Size:  42.8 KB Name:  malect1.jpg
Views: 662
Size:  25.4 KB Name:  malect2.jpg
Views: 664
Size:  43.6 KB Name:  fmgoldct1.jpg
Views: 660
Size:  33.5 KB Name:  fmgoldct.jpg
Size:  30.2 KB Name:  ctfry1.jpg
Views: 660
Size:  31.2 KB Name:  ctfry2.jpg
Size:  16.9 KB
Jennifer Vazquez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 04:43 AM   #2 
JayM

Love Dads colours. Good luck.
JayM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 11:24 AM   #3 
Jennifer Vazquez

Thanks JM
Old 09-04-2013, 09:24 PM   #4 
Jennifer Vazquez

My fry are now 5 days old. There are some that are bigger than others, but they are all doing great. I will do another update in the middle of next week, and Maybe more fry pics!
Old 09-08-2013, 01:53 PM   #5 
Jennifer Vazquez

update...
I did a 90% water change today, I have 89 Bettas now. I thought I would lose a lot more than 2, I guess I must be doing something right. lol! The fry are 1 week old now there are a few still on the small side compared to the others but all in all they seem to be doing good.
Old 09-16-2013, 07:29 PM   #6 
Jennifer Vazquez

I moved my fry to a 10 gal tank . I was a little worried that they wouldn't be able to find food as well in the bigger tank, but I can actually see them chasing the MW's. They are swimming around a lot more than they were in the plastic bin, which means they will be stronger. I can also see how they are developing in the glass tank, which the plastic bin I only had a view from the top. They all have a small caudal fin, and a few I have seen the clear pectoral fin. I have been feeding Microworms and infusoria, and I have started feeding frozen brine shrimp that I chopped up in a chopper I have, also I use my spice grinder to grind some freeze dried shrimp, and pellets, and flakes just to get them used to more than the infusoria and MW. I don't know if they are eating the crushed and frozen food yet. I add them at the second feeding and then siphon the bottom before I go to bed every night.

I only have the tank half full, I'm going to start adding a cup of water a day until it's full, and hopefully by then I will have my 20 gal set up and waiting. Here are some pics of the fry, they swim away really fast when I get my camera close to the tank. Oh they are a little over 2 weeks now.

Name:  fry111.jpg
Views: 580
Size:  33.2 KB Name:  fry112.jpg
Views: 577
Size:  41.3 KB Name:  fry113.jpg
Views: 579
Size:  22.8 KB
Old 09-17-2013, 02:54 AM   #7 
tilli94

I love it when they're itty bitty. You look into the tank and see one or two but the longer you look the more they appear!
tilli94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 04:32 AM   #8 
aussieJJDude

Wow, they super cute! Good job!
The parents are super cute...
aussieJJDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 06:46 PM   #9 
bambijarvis

I love the stage where they're basically a pair of eyes with a tail...xD

The females doesn't look like she has enough we reduction to be a CT(33% is the minimum I believe and she has hardly any). She'd probably a delta, who has CT some where in her(maybe first gen cross?)but if her rays are evenly spaced that's good.

I would add more than a cup a day, unless it's in addition to water changes.
water quality can make or break a spawn and they produce growth stunting hormones you want to remove from the water.
bambijarvis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2013, 09:38 PM   #10 
Jennifer Vazquez

Thanks everyone. I am doing a 50% WC every other day, as well as adding a cup of water a day. I want to make sure they are still able to find the food, and more water = more searching for food.
I don't know much about web reduction, I cant get a good flare out of her to take a picture, but her rays are evenly spaced and her rays have double points at the end on everyone.