Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Spawn Logs
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-28-2013, 05:39 PM   #21 
Jennifer Vazquez

Me too, I really want to see them start to get more color...
Jennifer Vazquez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2013, 05:48 PM   #22 
Jennifer Vazquez

OMG SUPRISE!!!!!!!!

so my fry are 4 weeks old today, I started another infusoria culture three weeks ago with water from the fry tank...... guess what was in the infusoria jar

There was a fry in it!!!!! alive, apparently when I started the new culture there was enough infusoria to keep it alive. It has been surviving on infusoria for 3 weeks now. He/she is now happily swimming around the grow out tank with the other fry. I am always amazed at how Bettas are so hearty and can survive almost anything. I do feel sorry for the little one, he/she has been living in a little jar with the same water for 3 weeks...
He/she is smaller than my four big fry, but bigger than the smaller fry. I'm happy I found it before it got too big.lol.

A few of the bigger fry are getting a greenish bluish iridescence to their bodys.
Old 09-29-2013, 11:46 AM   #23 
TruongLN

-OH WOW!!
I am so glad to hear it's doing okay :D
Any update pics?
TruongLN is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2013, 01:41 PM   #24 
Jennifer Vazquez

The fry still look the same. just a little bigger thy are about 1/4 of a inch big now, but i'm hopeing this week they will change a little so I can get some more pictures up.
Old 09-29-2013, 02:24 PM   #25 
PetMania

Can't wait to see how they turn out!
PetMania is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 11:04 PM   #26 
Jennifer Vazquez

I added 2 plants to my fry tank a couple of days ago, and I noticed a few of the leaves on the moneywort were melting, I must have damaged them when I brought them home. anyway the green rotten crud was all over the bottom of the tank so I decided to do a 100% WC and take out all the gravel and clean it. I also added some stress-zyme, which is supposed to help keep the tank clean. I added my gold mystery snail, and a brown and black striped snail(not sure what it's called) that is a amazing algea eater. I got some black gravel from someone off craigslist and I mixed that in with the colorful gravel I already had. I love the way it turned out. here is a pic of the tank without the fry.
Name:  10gnofry.jpg
Views: 209
Size:  66.5 KB

I only have 69 fry now, I assume that between the water changes and the smaller ones not getting as much food as the bigger ones some died. I have only found 3 dead when I did the water change though.

Here is what 69, 1 month old fry look like all together...
Name:  fry1mnth1.jpg
Views: 208
Size:  43.1 KB

Here are more pics of the fry, they all are gold right now, but I am sure they are going to get some color because even though mom is gold, dad is red and blue.
Name:  fry1mnth3.jpg
Size:  41.8 KB
Name:  fry1mnth4.jpg
Views: 207
Size:  37.3 KB
Name:  fry1mnth5.jpg
Size:  30.7 KB

They are in the cup getting used to the tank water again and they look like they are screaming LET ME OUT!!!!
Attached Images

Old 09-30-2013, 11:28 PM   #27 
Jennifer Vazquez

I forgot to add, I tried feeding hikari first bites today, and of course the fry completely ignored it. I am still feeding MW(there are still some smaller fry) The bigger fry really like the blended mixture of bloodworms and frozen brine shrimp. The only problem I am having is that the blood worms have a sort of shell that does not chop very well in the food processor , so some of the bigger fry are trying to eat pieces of bloodworm that are as big as they are. they do manage to eat it, after some trying.

even if they won't eat flakes I'm happy because at least they are eating the frozen foods
Old 10-03-2013, 07:21 PM   #28 
Jennifer Vazquez

Hi all!
I am starting to see color in the anal fins of 5 of the bigger fry. their bodies are still opaque gold, I wonder if it's because the mom was gold, I assumed thy started getting color on their bodies first then it spread to their fins. They still won't eat hikari first bites but a few grab the crushed up flakes. I think tomorrow I'm going to mix the hikari with a little tank water so that it floats around a little before it sinks. The fry don't eat anything from the top of the water, they prefer to grab food as it floats to the bottom, then they hunt in the gravel to find food the rest of the time.

I wonder if they are going to stay gold, I know red and blue are progressive so I thought they would be mostly like the daddy but with gold irredescence and maybe a few like the mom. I am really enjoying watching them grow and change.
Old 10-06-2013, 06:13 PM   #29 
Jennifer Vazquez

Tomorrow My fry will be 5 weeks old. Today I learned a valuable lesson with fry feeding.
I killed about 4 fry today, I didn't chop up the frozn brine shrimp well enough and apparently the 4 fry choked on the shrimp. I thought that if it was too big the fry would spit it back out, but I guess it's like they say their eyes were biggr than their stomachs.
This is exactly why I did CT as my first spawn, I knew I would make mistakes and because you can buy CT's at the petstore I figured I could stand to lose a few.

I siphoned out all the big pieces, and tomorrow I will try again with well chopped brine shrimp.

I did learn a trick for the chopped bloodworms. I can't seem to get them chopped good wwhen I chop only one or two cubes at a time in the food processor, so I added all the cubes of frozen bloodworms and chopped them while they were still frozen, then I took a littlemeasuring spoon and spooned the chopped worms back into the plastic cubes that they came from. I took one cube and let it thaw, then I tried to siphon out some of the water/blood with a piece of cloth so I didn't dirty my water too much. This worked really well.
Old 10-08-2013, 07:38 PM   #30 
Jennifer Vazquez

So I have noticed three different colorations in the fry. It's only iridesense so far but when the sun shines on them it's noticeable.

I have seen pink iridescense with red fin, blue irridescense with red fins and red/pink body with clear fins. grrrr I'm so impatient for them to start getting real color