Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-03-2009, 10:15 PM   #1 
bettababe321

New Rescue Betta!

It's funny how things happen. So I was at walmart getting some gravel for cosmos new 5 gallon. Even though I hate supporting walmarts fish department the gravel is really cheap there and I am a poor college student. Anyway I was about to leave when I decided to just take a look at their Betta selection and I was horrified! There was not a single healthy betta there, all of them were in dirty little cups with water so dark you could barely see them! There was one cup with a big sign that said $1 so I looked inside and this poor betta had NO fins I mean none whatsoever. He's actually a very pretty pink color but the poor guy has probly had finrot for weeks. His left eye is kind of bulgy too so I'm guessing theres some popeye going on. I'm quite supprised he was still alive. Anyway I was livid that they let him get that bad so I mentioned it to the employee working in that department and he said "its almost dead, you can just take it" so of course I did! So now Cosmos old 1 gallon is Captains new home/ treatment center. He is in there with a heater, a decent amount of stress coat and daily Maracyn2 treatments. I'm doing 50% water changes every other day and I'm thinking I'll start doing salt water baths too after reading some more about them. He is very active and eats like a pig so I think he's doing better. Looks like I'm going to have to start shopping for another 5 gallon soon Sorry for the long story!!! let me know if you have any suggestions on rehabilitation.
bettababe321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2009, 10:20 PM   #2 
doggyhog

With my experience with Fin rot, it is best to use clean water and salt baths as your main meds. I do not recommend the antibiotics unless it gets really bad. 100% changes every day, and add a t spoon of salt to his tank. My Walmart betta is STILL battling fin rot, even 4 months after I got him. I'm going to start doing salt baths everyday.

I wish you well!

Did walmart just give him to you!?
doggyhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2009, 10:51 PM   #3 
bettababe321

Thanks for the advice. yea they just gave him to me! they acted like I was insane for wanting a fish that was "almost dead already". The only reason I'm using the Maracyn2 is because it worked so well when Cosmo had Popeye. Do you recomend puting salt in the tank with the daily changes as well as doing the baths? He really is a fighter, even with no fins hes swimming around and eating. He seems so happy to be out of that dirty little cup.
bettababe321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2009, 11:43 PM   #4 
BakaMandy

\o/ I hope he makes a full recovery!
BakaMandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2009, 12:59 AM   #5 
AngelicScars

Wow, bravo and I'm glad they let you have him. I hope he pulls through, you are doing something really amazing.
AngelicScars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2009, 01:49 AM   #6 
sunkissedinCA

thats so great that you rescued the little guy. i bet he feels so much better! keep us updated :)
sunkissedinCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2009, 08:50 AM   #7 
dramaqueen
Banned

I'm sure he'll do much better in a clean environment and some tlc. Good for you for taking him. Good luck with him and please keep us updated on his progress.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2009, 10:30 AM   #8 
Vikki81207

Aww congrats. I hope he pulls through.
& yeah, my walmart betta is still battling fin rot too.
Vikki81207 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2009, 12:36 PM   #9 
dr2b

I hope he recovers quickly! I'm so happy that you got to take him to give him a new home!
dr2b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2009, 04:06 PM   #10 
Shylynn

wow thank god you went that day, i cant believe they basically put these beautiful fish in these lil cups out on a shelf to die. you did an amazing thing and good luck and i hope he makes a full recovery
Shylynn is offline   Reply With Quote