Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-03-2013, 10:20 PM   #1 
Umineko

Do I need a heater?

My betta is housed in a 1.5 gallon filtered aquarium. I was told a while back when he was sick [though he recovered and is completely fine now] I should get a heater because of how warm their water needs to be. I live in Florida, where the temperature is relatively in the high 70's to the low 80's almost all the time.

His tank is usually around the 80 degree mark at room temperature. My house is the warmest in the house.

Wouldn't getting a heater for him just fry him?

Here is a picture of his tank that I am using. Though this was taken quite a while back. Setup is still the same.
Attached Images

Umineko is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 10:26 PM   #2 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

The temp is fine, but the main benefit a heater would give you is stability... Which is almost as important as warmth.
MattsBettas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 10:29 PM   #3 
Umineko

You do have a point about the stability but I am afraid because his water is at 80 or sometimes even a tiny bit warmer that a heater will just cause his water to boil.
Umineko is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 10:36 PM   #4 
peachii

The preset Tetra heater at Wal-mart won't heat the tank so high and is good for that size tank. I use it for my same exact tank and it stays at 78, that's as high as it heats.
peachii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 10:46 PM   #5 
jaysee
Reference Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Umineko View Post
You do have a point about the stability but I am afraid because his water is at 80 or sometimes even a tiny bit warmer that a heater will just cause his water to boil.
Heaters only come on when the temperature falls below the designated degree. You could have 5 heaters in the tank and it wouldn't matter so long as you don't set it higher than the temperature you want the tank to be. What that means is barring a malfunction, if the heater cooks your fish its your fault because you did not set it properly. If you don't want to cook your fish, don't set the heater to 100 degrees.... But really, just because you set a heater to a temp doesn't mean that that is the temp to which it will bring the water. It's important to spend time checking a new heater to make sure that its calibration is not too far off or that it's not broken out of the box.
jaysee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 11:09 PM   #6 
blufish425

Quote:
Originally Posted by peachii View Post
The preset Tetra heater at Wal-mart won't heat the tank so high and is good for that size tank. I use it for my same exact tank and it stays at 78, that's as high as it heats.

I have 3 of these and love them!
blufish425 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
heater