Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-01-2013, 03:23 PM   #1 
Jennifer Vazquez

female for this male,suggestions please

I have a DT male dragonscale. He is black with a darker iredescent blue and black body, his fins are a see through black with snakeskin markings. he has no red wash at all, his caudal is not even the top part of the Dt is smaller.He also has some white on his head and a few clear spots on his fins. beside the difference in the caudal his fins are pretty even all the way around.

I want to breed him to get more of the snake skin markings, and keep the blue and black dragonscale body. I'm not interested in breeding for the Doubletail, but some DT fry would be ok. I don't want any red wash at all. and I want to try to keep the blue as dark as possible so that it stays more blue rather than going to teal blue or green. I'm on the fence about the white spots on the body not sure if I want more or less, But I do think I want to breed out the clear spots on the fins, or try for even butterfly.

I know it takes several generations to achieve what I want but a female to start with would be helpful. I'm not very good with genetics. any ideas or suggestions????

Name:  dtcrop.jpg
Views: 85
Size:  71.8 KB
Jennifer Vazquez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 12:33 AM   #2 
indjo
TFK Moderator

Color wise, you might want to try a black or royal blue female. Both of which will give you lots of greenish color, specially the black. But you should also get the dark royal blue color. Don't worry about the white spot. If you want to breed that out, don't introduce more white /marble to your line. Eventually it should disappear - one generation should suffice.
indjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 11:22 AM   #3 
Jennifer Vazquez

Thanks Injo, I think the first few generations will be easier to find homes for if they have more colors anyway.
Old 09-02-2013, 11:28 AM   #4 
Jennifer Vazquez

What about keeping the snake skin in the fins, should I try to find a black or royal blue female that has that, or just breed a first gen of royal blue back to dad ? Thanks