Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-04-2013, 08:57 AM   #1 
Gdub1292

Good Filter For Small Tanks

On a previous post a member recommended a tetra 3i for a smaller Betta tank. Although some members said that a filter isn't needed for a smaller tank, it would be nice to have one so that I did not have to completely change the water all the time. I now know from experience that I need something basic. I've read good and bad things about the 3i. Is there any other ones out there, or does anyone have any recommendations on small tank filters for betta? thanks!!
Gdub1292 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 09:21 AM   #2 
Hallyx
Reference Team

The Tetra 3i is a sponge filter (uses air-bubbles to circulate the water). Unfortunately, is very poorly designed. The water flows only over the top 1/4 of the filter cartridge; it should flow through the entire cartridge.

Many Betta keepers recommend sponge filters. You can learn more than you'll need to know on this thread. http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/b...hy-how-126530/

There are several sponge filter threads active right now. You can direct questions on any of them.

Sponge filters are particularly useful in small tanks (<5gal) because the large sponge can house lots of nitrifying bacteria which eats the ammonia in the tank.
Hallyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 09:28 AM   #3 
Briz

I personally like the Marina i25. (link) You might want to baffle it with a sponge over the outtake though as it may be a little strong for a Betta in a smaller tank. The only downside is that the replacement cartridges are a little pricey.
Briz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 09:29 AM   #4 
Blue Fish

Sponge filters! :D
Blue Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 09:47 AM   #5 
jaysee
Reference Team

I like my azoo palm mini HOB. It's cheap and it has a flow control for those who are concerned about current.
jaysee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 03:13 PM   #6 
Freyja
Banned

I agree with the Azoo and the Marina i25, both good filters.
Freyja is offline   Reply With Quote