Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Breeding Betta Fish
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-01-2013, 08:19 PM   #1 
millersrepairshop

Your opinions on what I may end up with breeding these pairs

I was thinking of breeding these 2 pairs and was wondering the opinions of other members of what the offspring may end up looking like, and also if I should rethink my breeding options because the fish don't compliment each other. Advise would be greatly appreciated.
Attached Images

millersrepairshop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 08:25 PM   #2 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

The first male is very nice. His form is good but his dorsal should lean forward and it has a stubby first ray. I also can't tell if he has a 180 degree spread... He doesn't look like he's in full flare. The female you are going to breed him to is a veiltail and I wouldn't recommend that combo... You will get rounds tails and maybe some deltas. Her colour is nice and would work well with the male though.

What is your goal for the second pair? If you want more super blacks you should use a super black male.if you want black orchids that pair would work.
MattsBettas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2013, 08:56 PM   #3 
millersrepairshop

Quote:
Originally Posted by MattsBettas View Post
The first male is very nice. His form is good but his dorsal should lean forward and it has a stubby first ray. I also can't tell if he has a 180 degree spread... He doesn't look like he's in full flare. The female you are going to breed him to is a veiltail and I wouldn't recommend that combo... You will get rounds tails and maybe some deltas. Her colour is nice and would work well with the male though.

What is your goal for the second pair? If you want more super blacks you should use a super black male.if you want black orchids that pair would work.
Thanks for the quick reply and advice Matt!

I thought the pineapple female was more of a round tail. The mustard male is right at 180 when in full flare. I was hoping to breed the best female offspring back to the male to try to get a better tail fin spread. His fins all seem to be well balanced.. Would her anal fin produce long anal fins in the offspring? And also what would happen to the body color matching these colors together?

As for the black PK.. I would like to end up producing more offspring similar to the male. Maybe adding a little more turquoise if possible. He was sold as a black salamander turquoise HMPK. And I was told by the seller "I can find a matching female for him if you would like. Usually if you want that color I would suggest breeding him with a black female, melano female, copper blacks, and strong turquoise females". I'm just not real sure what way to go.
Old 09-02-2013, 01:25 AM   #4 
indjo
TFK Moderator

+1 Mat
If you can't get a better female for male#1, you will have to be prepared for more work.

You may want to do the same for the second pair - breed back to male. Don't worry about color, black orchid (male) is a fairly easy color to achieve and will be hard to clean - to get pure clean blacks. Just remember not to introduce any kind of red, not even red washed colors.
indjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 05:17 PM   #5 
millersrepairshop

http://www.ustream.tv/channel/betta-breeding

Live view