Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-17-2009, 01:15 PM   #1 
veganchick

Question ? what should I do?

I have a female betta who I have had for awhile that is NOT comferterable in large spaces, she started out extremly skittish in a 10g, so I divided about 3 gallons of it off for her and 2 guppies(I have removed them before and it made no dif.), she is better (she has been in there about 2.5 months), but still hides alot and is shy and skitish, I had her her in a little half gallon tank when she was in qt and she loved it, but a half a gallon is REALLY hard to maintain a constant temp. (I had a heating pad up to it) AND it takes a lot of maitenence, plus I don't want her all boxed in... She is reather large for a female betta, do you think that she will get used to the larger area in a few more months? or should I purchase a quite smaller home for her? about a gallon or so with lots of coverage is what I was thinking. I don't mind doing a little extra maitenence for a filterless smaller tank, but I don't want to be cruel or anthing. What do you think I should do? If you think I should move her into a smaller tank, I would love pics and suggestions for certain tanks. Thanks :)
veganchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 02:08 PM   #2 
veganchick

can someone plz help?????? Thanks
Old 07-17-2009, 02:13 PM   #3 
AngelicScars

I have a CT male with the same issue. He hates the larger spaces. All I had was a 1/2 gallon that I used for a quarantine. Anyway, I just went out and bought a cheap 2 gallon bowl, rocks, a plant, and a nice little house. He is much happier and blows little bubbles around the ring of the bowl.
I think getting something smaller would work great. Good luck!
AngelicScars is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 03:12 PM   #4 
veganchick

Thanks! She doesn't like filters either so a bowl would be great! or maybe just a small filterless tank, so you think its ok to go ahead and move her out of the 10g? and for right now becuase I can't set up a new tank/bowl right away should she go in the 1/2g or divided ten gallon? she likes the smaller tank better, but I feel so bad putting her in there!!!
Old 07-17-2009, 03:21 PM   #5 
BakaMandy

:) Well I say maybe aim for a 2 or 3 gallon tank. Not too big and not too small either, since half a gallon sounds way too small! and you can still fit a small filter or heater in there just in case. My bettas have been really satisfied with just a 3 gallon ^_^

Although you could divide the 10 gallon if you wanted :P and maybe stick another betta on the other side!
BakaMandy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 03:30 PM   #6 
veganchick

I have her in a divided ten gallon right now with guppies and cherry barbs on the other side,(she has about 3g to herself, and she is really skittish and scarred with only 3g of water) she hates the filter :(. I usually have a 2.5g minimum for my bettas, but she just doesn't seem to be comforterable in tanks and bowls that large. I tried her in the 2.5g bowl that has a filter and she didn't like that, so I took out the filter and it didn't help much. Do you think that If a give her 2 or three months more she will get used to the 3g area she has, or would it be better just to get her a 1 or 1.5g?< I know those are tiny, but if she doesn't get used to her larger home I'm not sure what I should do. Thanks both of ou for the advice! :)
Old 07-17-2009, 03:38 PM   #7 
veganchick

would something like this be ok if I got rid of the filter, or turned it down super low?
All-Glass Mini-Bow 1 Junior Blue Aquarium Kit at PETCO

or would something like this be better?
Classic Drum Style Fish Bowls at PETCO

or this

I'm leaning more towards one of them that has a light on it because my room gets cold in the winter and I can't really get a heater for this small of tanks all of these tanks are either a gallon, or a gallon and a half in size
Old 07-17-2009, 06:34 PM   #8 
veganchick

please reply soon! I'm going to the store tomorrow and I would like to know what the best set up for my girl would be! a simple bowl? I minibow 1g? something else? Also are there any heaters for 1 or 1.5g tanks?
Old 07-17-2009, 06:38 PM   #9 
crowntail lover

I think she would love it!!! :]
crowntail lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2009, 06:39 PM   #10 
crowntail lover

I am talking about the pic!!!
crowntail lover is offline   Reply With Quote