Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Care
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 07-16-2009, 09:58 PM   #11 
veganchick

I agree, keep him in the bowl... You could put in one of those little mineral feeder disolving things so that even tho he won't eat he is still getting some nutriants
veganchick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 10:02 PM   #12 
JosephineK

Well, that could part of it for sure. I talked to some people at the pet store today when I went to get the BettaZing and they said I'd been cleaning the tank wrong (taking water from the top instead of the bottom) It makes sense now that they said it but at the time I didn't realize I was creating a problem. I feel awful. They said he's probably stressed from that kind of problem in the tank. I tried to do some research before getting him but I never read anything about that. Lesson learned, that's for sure. I'm going to keep him in the bowl and disturb him as little as possible aside from cleaning when necessary. They sold me some water conditioner with electrolytes, they seemed to feel that would be better than antibiotics.
JosephineK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2009, 10:04 PM   #13 
JosephineK

Oh, veganchick...I'd never heard of that but that's a great idea. I'll stop by the pet store again tomorrow. Thanks for all your help everyone. :)
Old 07-16-2009, 10:23 PM   #14 
dramaqueen
Banned

I never heard of taking water from the top instead of the bottom or anything like that. Of course, if you are using a gravel vac, the water would be coming from the bottom.
dramaqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2009, 12:24 PM   #15 
JosephineK

I was taking the water from the top and leaving the bottom part of the water. They said that by doing that I was taking out the healthy good bacteria and leaving the dirty ammonia, crappy part. Stressful to his system. It makes perfect sense explained in that way. I know better now. Mick doesn't look good but he's still hanging in there and I'm not going to give up on him.
Old 07-18-2009, 12:49 PM   #16 
dramaqueen
Banned

I see what you mean now. The bottom can be gravel vaccuumed.
Old 07-18-2009, 07:54 PM   #17 
JosephineK

Well, I'm sorry to say it but he died today. Some people think I'm crazy for being so sad about it but Mick was a living being and my actions made him sick. I feel terrible. I want to thank you all for trying to help me, though. I do appreciate all your advise and help. Thanks so much.
Old 07-18-2009, 07:58 PM   #18 
dramaqueen
Banned

I am so sorry to hear about your fish! Some people will say it was just a fish and to get over it but they are our pets, we take care of them and we love them. We've all done things that we wish we could have done differently. Don't blame yoursself. I wish we could have done more to help.
Old 07-18-2009, 11:59 PM   #19 
sweetviolets

I'm sorry to hear about your fish, Josephine
sweetviolets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 01:03 AM   #20 
BearFish96

Oh man, that's awful!
I'm sorry about your fish
BearFish96 is offline   Reply With Quote