Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Spawn Logs
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-02-2013, 02:59 AM   #1 
Aluka

Marble/"mustard" hmpk x Marble hmpk Spawned 8/30/13 - Budget included.

Okay, I will stop being lazy and type up my log. After many years of betta keeping, I have finally decided to try my hand at breeding them. This is my first time, so be gentle! Please correct me if I am doing something wrong.

I originally wanted to spawn a pair of mustard gas like HM (Like because I believe the true mustard gas are bettas that came from Jude Als's lines, of which i do not have and will probably never have)

Anyways, while i was searching, i found a pair of beautiful HMPKs, which i decided to buy and breed =). They are my first HMPKs, so i am quite excited.

Here is the proud mommy and daddy (pictures are from the breeder (sumer) because i am too lazy to take my own, lol ):

Aren't they pretty?

Goals:

There's no real particular goal for this spawn. This will be my first, so its mostly about getting the process down. I would like to be able to get a pair of spawns from them to be able to continue my breeding project. I will most likely be breeding for a certain coloration, but that will not be determined until the frys are big enough.

I will also be keeping a spreadsheet with all my expenses and profits, because I see alot of people asking how much would it cost to spawn bettas and if they can make a profit out of it.

I don't really expect to make any money from this, but I do hope to break even (unlikely, but i will try)

I will make my spreadsheet public, so you guys can see my progress =)!

Here is the link:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/...Gc&usp=sharing
Aluka is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 03:05 AM   #2 
Aluka

To prepare for my spawn, I got a 15 gallon tank, got my BBS eggs ready, along with micro worms and banana worm cultures. (I have worm cultures for sale for those that want some! - Sorry, trying to break even, lol)

On Tuesday, 8/27/2013 I set up my spawning tank. I filled my 15 gallon tank with about 4-5 inches of water, added some prime, added 3-4 handfuls of water lettuce, some cay pots, 3 big IALs, some prime to dechlorinate the water. Water temperature is 81 degrees.

I used a air line tube with some suction cups to keep the floaters in one spot, not sure if that helps but i wanted them to be in one corner =(.

I added a breeder box to the tank, I plan on putting the female in there while my male makes his nest.

I let the tank sit over night so the ial have time to leech.
Attached Images

Last edited by Aluka; 09-02-2013 at 03:09 AM.
Old 09-02-2013, 03:10 AM   #3 
Aluka

8/28/13, Wednesday

I added my pair to the spawn tank =) My male immediately starting making a nest. He would make a few bubbles and swim to my female and flash and wave his body around before making more bubbles. I check back at them in 3-4 hours, the nest was still relatively small. So I decided not to release the female.

Not sure if that was a good idea or not, i worried all night that maybe they will tired themselves out. But the nest was barely more than 2 square inches big =(.
Attached Images

Old 09-02-2013, 03:14 AM   #4 
Aluka

8/29/2013 Thursday

The nest didn't get any better =( I was starting to think that maybe i put too much water lettuce in there. I remember see other breeders use paper cups, so i cut one into two and added it to the tank.

I released the female, thinking its now or never. They chased each other all over the tank, luckily my female is pretty mellow and never once nip my male. My male was also pretty gentle, he would chase and then swim under his nest trying to lure her over. But she wasn't having it.

After 5+ hrs of this, they have not yet spawned, I checked on them and noticed my girl was missing a chunk of her tail. =(
Old 09-02-2013, 03:17 AM   #5 
alunjai

Have they spawned yet? Good luck!!
alunjai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 03:19 AM   #6 
Aluka

8/30/2013 Friday

I checked on them again in the morning before going to work, no spawn =(. I figured they must need more conditioning. But i decided to leave them in the tank until I get off work.

I went home, planning on taking them out and starting the conditioning process over, but when i checked on them, i saw them in an embrace! Eggs were dropping!

Sadly, the nest was still pathetic. I am not sure how i can make him make a better nest. His nest in the conditioning tank was HUGE!.

I checked back on them few hours later and found the girl hiding and my boy tending to his nest. So i remove my girl and added her back to her conditioning tank with a fresh IAL and lots of bloodworms.

I noticed ALOT of the eggs are in the bottom of the tank =( Probably because of the pathetic nest. I wonder if i will get any fry =(!
Old 09-02-2013, 03:22 AM   #7 
Aluka

8/31/2013

It seems my boy is learning, I notice his nest is double in size! There are still lots of eggs in the bottom of the tank, but not as much as before.

9/1/2013
His nest has been steadily growing bigger, i wish i can take a picture but, its all under the water lettuce and the cup =<.

Lots of eggs are dropping, i think he is having trouble telling which ones are newly dropped and which ones are there from the spawn. Should i remove the eggs?

I noticed some of the eggs have hatched, and little frys are at the bottom trying to swim, but ultimately falling to the bottom. Whenever i check, my boy is too busy flaring at me to catch the little frys. Hopefully when i am not peaking at him he is doing a better job at picking them back up.

I hope i have at least 20 frys to pick from O.o! So many eggs in the bottom!!
Old 09-02-2013, 04:41 AM   #8 
JayM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aluka View Post
8/31/2013

It seems my boy is learning, I notice his nest is double in size! There are still lots of eggs in the bottom of the tank, but not as much as before.

9/1/2013
His nest has been steadily growing bigger, i wish i can take a picture but, its all under the water lettuce and the cup =<.

Lots of eggs are dropping, i think he is having trouble telling which ones are newly dropped and which ones are there from the spawn. Should i remove the eggs?

I noticed some of the eggs have hatched, and little frys are at the bottom trying to swim, but ultimately falling to the bottom. Whenever i check, my boy is too busy flaring at me to catch the little frys. Hopefully when i am not peaking at him he is doing a better job at picking them back up.

I hope i have at least 20 frys to pick from O.o! So many eggs in the bottom!!
I wouldn't remove the eggs as most dads know which are good & which are bad. Best of luck.
JayM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 10:37 AM   #9 
MattsBettas
Reference Team

Don't remove the eggs, and just let dad do his job. Good luck!

By the way I just got two spawns on Saturday, so our fry will be about the same age.
MattsBettas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2013, 11:56 AM   #10 
Aluka

okay! =) i am going to check on him right now. thanks for the advice!