Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-11-2013, 11:12 PM   #1 
Kittiesdragons

2.5 too small?

As the title states... is a 2.5 gallon tank with a heater, thermometer, and a live plant, too small for a single betta? I use a gravel siphon to remove water and do changes twice a week (50-75% and then 100%) I also check the ammonia levels with the API liquid test kit on a regular basis. I have successfully kept Jacob alive and happy with this routine for months but now I am doubting myself... Someone told me the minimum was five gallons but... I don't really have room for two five gallons... I was really hoping to keep all my boys in a minimum of 2.5 gallons so I could afford to get a 20 gal for either a sorority or tropical community. But if I need to upgrade everyone then so be it. I will do what's best for the fish. I just hope I'm not hurting two of my boys by keeping them in under five gallons.

Best regards
Kittie
Kittiesdragons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 11:18 PM   #2 
finnfinnfriend

No way a 2.5 gallon is perfectly fine. I moved my betta to a 2.5 from a 5.5 and he hasn't bitten his tail since. Don't even worry at all....In fact I only do a once weekly water change on mine and the nitrates stay more than under control. You can keep doing what you are doing now though of course.
finnfinnfriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 11:21 PM   #3 
finnfinnfriend

Oh I see you don't have a filter so your current water change schedule is good. Anyway a heated 2.5g is great!
finnfinnfriend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 11:43 PM   #4 
Kittiesdragons

Ok... phew that makes me feel much better Finnfinn. I kind of figured it was ok but since I wanted to update some tanks anyway I wanted to make sure I was going the right direction!
Old 09-12-2013, 03:05 AM   #5 
Hallyx
Reference Team

A 2.5g is on the small end of acceptable but it's just fine. It's big enough to heat reliably. You can cycle it eventually if you choose. This ensures the best water quality for your fish. Less importantly, it makes life easier for you.

Alternately, you can grow plants, especially fast-growers and floaters. This gets rid of the ammonia without having to cycle.

Your current conscientious care is fine for as long as you can keep it up.
Hallyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 03:17 PM   #6 
Kittiesdragons

Thank you Hallyx, I actually have a live plant in my current 2.5 and plan on planting the other tanks as soon as I have the money to do so. I have a bad tendency to kill live plants but I seem to be doing so well with this broad leaf aquatic that when the time comes I will return to the LPS that I got it from and pick up more for the other tanks
Old 09-13-2013, 10:45 AM   #7 
NozzALa

Definitely not too small. My Spec is about 2.6 and my betta is thriving. Sounds like you have a good setup.
NozzALa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 10:53 AM   #8 
Sokkasmom

I have tanks from one gal to 10 gals. You have to do water changes based on tank size, my one gal tanks get more water changes than my bigger tanks, to keep the ammonia and nitrates down. All of my tanks have a live plant or two in them. 2.5 is probably just fine for your boys. Some fish like smaller places, some like bigger tanks.
Sokkasmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 11:25 AM   #9 
Wyatt C

two days ago I got to Betta fish and I got them each there own 1 gallon bowl with LEDs gravel and a couple of plastic plants is that a good habitat for them or should I break out my ten gallon and put a divider in it in the future
Wyatt C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2013, 01:08 PM   #10 
Plex

I have two bettas in a 10G divided tank. They both get 5 gal each and are pretty happy. They swim all over the place. A betta swimming around with its fins flowing elegantly is a majestic sight that you will miss in a 1 gallon tank.
Plex is offline   Reply With Quote