Betta Fish Care  
Go Back   Betta Fish and Betta Fish Care > Betta Fish Bowls, Habitats, and Accessories
Check out the eBook Betta Fish Care Made Easy
betta fish

Old 09-03-2013, 10:19 AM   #11 
Hallyx
Reference Team

Here's the "sponge filter thread" Racoon referred to:

http://www.tropicalfishkeeping.com/b...hy-how-126530/

(Great directions, FirstBetta.)
Hallyx is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 10:31 AM   #12 
Blue Fish

I use a sponge filter in a divided 20g, with no problems. I just put it close to the center divider.

How thoroughly is your divider covered in moss? If it's seriously caked on there, then you might want to go on ahead and do two filters (one in each corner), just because it may be hard for the water to be getting from point A to point B. You can also get a "divider" (unfortunately I don't know the real name for them) for your airline tubing if you can only afford one air pump. It's a T-junction that will splice a single air-line tube into two air-line tubes. The central tube coming from your air pump will go into the center piece of the "T", then two other sections of tubing will go from each of your filters to the two top portions of the "T", so you only have to use one pump. Your check valve and all the rest would be down closer to the pump, so you only need one of each of those as well.

This way you only have to purchase one pump, but can run two filters off of it. The pumps are so cheap it probably really doesn't matter, but I know some people on here are really strapped for funds, and I thought I'd mention this option just in case. :)
Blue Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2013, 10:38 AM   #13 
Hallyx
Reference Team

The Hydro "mini" (by the same company) is probably a better filter for your application:
[ame="http://www.amazon.com/ATI-SPONGE-FILTER-LUSTAR-GALLON/dp/B003I5QRWO/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1378221940&sr=8-1&keywords=Hydro+mini+sponge"]Amazon.com: ATI HYDRO SPONGE FILTER MINI LUSTAR HS900 7 GALLON: Pet Supplies[/ame]
As a bonus, Hydro's allow use of an airstone for better flow with less surface disturbance.

For a few cents more get silicone airline tubing. Thank me later.

That Whisper airpump is fine for what you want to do.

Last edited by Hallyx; 09-03-2013 at 10:40 AM.
Old 09-03-2013, 01:39 PM   #14 
Blue Fish

+1 the silicone tubing. :)
Blue Fish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 12:10 AM   #15 
MichelleA

The more I think about these things I more my head hurts. They seem so complicated. I went to the store this morning and seen i swear, 10 different types of tubing, 10 air pumps, 5 different check valves and blah blah blah I still dont know where the check valve goes lol Im not a crafty person at all lol and I feel like these things are way over my head. I read the instructions in that link and the instructions FirstBetta wrote like 20 times and I still feel lost. Am i the only person who just doesnt get it? Cant I just buy one of these contraptions fully assembled and ready for use?
MichelleA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 12:48 AM   #16 
LittleBettaFish

Unless you need to filter multiple tanks from the one pump, any small, single outlet air pump should be fine for a betta tank. I purchased a cheap low end pump and it has worked beautifully for over a year. It does struggle if I start to try and hook up more than a couple of tanks but that is to be expected as it was not intended for this purpose.

A check valve is just to stop your tank from back siphoning into the air pump if the power goes off. I don't use these (naughty) but any one will do. They probably all come from the same factory in China, so as long as it can fit inside your airline tubing it will be fine.

A control valve obviously allows you to control the flow of your sponge filter. I like to use valves that look like this:

http://www.aquariumproducts.com.au/c...=2977&catID=27

I find they provide the most precise level of control. Some types of control valves only seem to allow you to have lots of flow, or no flow at all. There's no real in between.

I personally like the soft, silicone airline tubing. I find it is easier to attach and remove when compared to the harder plastic tubing. Colour is personal preference. I like using clear as I feel it is less obtrusive.

Once you have purchased all your equipment, you basically attach a length of airline tubing to your air pump, insert both your check valve and control valve somewhere along the tubing (you just cut where you want to place these and add them in) and then attach your tubing to your sponge filter.

Giving the sponge filter a few quick squeezes will get the air out and make it sink, and then you just turn your air pump on, and adjust your control valve until you are happy with the level of flow.
LittleBettaFish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 01:48 AM   #17 
Moonshine357

Question is it possible to run multiple filters off of one air pump?
Moonshine357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 03:10 AM   #18 
LittleBettaFish

Yeah. If the pump is strong enough.

Some larger pumps have multiple outlets (mine has eight) and then you can run additional gang valves that allow for more sponge filters to be connected.
LittleBettaFish is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 03:25 AM   #19 
Moonshine357

Awesome, I know what upgrade I'm doing next month.
Moonshine357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 03:34 AM   #20 
Hallyx
Reference Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichelleA View Post
..... Am i the only person who just doesnt get it? Cant I just buy one of these contraptions fully assembled and ready for use?
Sponge filters are not easy to understand if you've never seen one. Even if you see one running, you'd be hard pressed to say what's going on and how, exactly, it's filtering anything. I've had experienced keepers who have used them for years ask me how they work. It is rather magical in a way.

I thought there was a diagram of a sponge filter setup in that thread. Does anyone remember where that sponge filter diagram is?

Hmmm...maybe I should buy a crate of pumps, a bunch of filters and a bag of T-fittings and check valves..... then resell them as a package. There is a sponge filter/airpump combo you can buy, but the filter is poorly designed and worthless both as a filter and as room for nitrifying bacteria--- two reasons sponge filters are recommended, along with low current.

Last edited by Hallyx; 09-04-2013 at 03:39 AM.